joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 19/20 Potential Winter Event

stormtracker

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree but more often than not when you see 3 op runs in a row with strong ens support it's usually in lock in mode regardless of the setup (inside of 96. Beyond that range any op can and will fail regularly). The gfs is so bouncy that one of the runs is probably right because it throws them all out there. I've had a hard time with the gfs outside of 3 days this year. Run to run consistency is not the GFS's forte. 

I was thinking last night before I went to sleep that if the euro is going to change it's tune it's probably going to be the 0z run because we're just about in the real deadly range. Is what it is. It's a tricky h5 setup and not a classic storm setup. That was in the back of my mind the whole time but I liked what I saw and went with it. 

Yeah def not a sure thing. I've become a Euro hugger of late.. perhaps too much. Usually if you get it to show the same thing for a few runs it's going to win. But this isn't an easy setup. Plus it's late March. Honestly no real loss if it doesn't happen. The people who always say storms will bust will claim victory if it fails but that's not forecasting.

Yeah def not a sure thing. I've become a Euro hugger of late.. perhaps too much. Usually if you get it to show the same thing for a few runs it's going to win. But this isn't an easy setup. Plus it's late March. Honestly no real loss if it doesn't happen. The people who always say storms will bust will claim victory if it fails but that's not forecasting.

Strong El Niño has made things difficult this year. No doubt it's a factor.

you're right about eastern WV, but that thickness is just too high for the DC area.   And the NAM precip type maps do show rain at 21z for all of DC Metro.   You don't get into snow unless you go west to the Shenandoah Valley.

but hey, the NAM seems to be a warm outlier so...

I don't see how you can make the call of soaking rain off of that map.  Yeah, the surface freezing line is north, mostly, but if it's 34 and heavy precip, I doubt that it's a soaking rain.  The eastern part of WV has thickness above 540 but the surface is below 32 there.  Doubt that that is soaking rain either.

Yeah, the UK looks like a pretty good storm for the region.  Won't be shocked if the Euro shows a good one too.

Won't be shocked if it doesn't also.

There are still very significant differences in timing among all three global model runs so far. We just don't know what's going to happen after 8 am on Sunday yet. 

Locally the upper eastern shore, central/N DE, into NJ seem to get the highest qpf, and may be related to deform band on the backside of the low, with surface temps 31-34, and this area is where (per wb) 5-7" would fall. Cut that in half and that is probably closer to reality. DC and most of central MD is 2-3" ... again all this per wb snow map/temp map for 12z euro.

Archived