• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 19/20 Potential Winter Event

stormtracker

Yeah it's definitely marginal tempwise even with rates. And temps are pretty uniform so it doesn't necessarily look like a case where DCA is 35 and I'm 33.  35s all over at 18z.. tho really that's about what last night showed. Last night was maybe a hair cooler at 12z and 0z but 18z was very similar.

My impression from the morning posts was that last night's run delayed the storm, so the end of the storm was well after sunset. The evening stuff could definitely accumulate well. 

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's easy to downplay on air because we are on the heels of multiple days in the 70's and it has felt more like mid spring than anything else. This march has not felt the same as the last 2. This storm is a combo of a return to winter temps and possible snow at the same time. No lead up cold streak makes it hard to go all in until it's locked, loaded, and imminent.

With that being said, if the 0z runs start agreeing then downplaying is a bit foolish.

More analysis about temps and March storms:

One of the questions I had after the snow early this month was why it didn't accumulate on roads at all in the areas that went under 32F overnight and had 2" accumulation on non-paved surfaces. I looked at the days leading up to 3/25/13 which were colder in daytime highs but not as cold for overnight lows. Maybe pavement temp spikes from the high temp hours was the main reason? But, there was also a big disparity in liquid equivalents. 3/25/13 was much more liquid overnight than 3/3-4/16 (~400% more). Fluffy high ratio snow doesn't cut it to coat the roads after a warmish-spell in March.

So, it's kind of a complicated combination of factors to determine whether snow will stick on roads even overnight. It's a fun puzzle to put together. I want to actually take a stab at it for this storm, so I think I'm going to make a "road stick" forecast if the models do converge on a high-liquid event. 

I was living in the Hudson Valley of NY at the time, we had about 18 inches of paste. Our town had no power for 4-6 days. It was pretty awesome, especially since I was in the 7th grade.

My former boss was working at NWS Taunton and said he was driving home from a shift and it was snowing so hard it was scary.

My impression from the morning posts was that last night's run delayed the storm, so the end of the storm was well after sunset. The evening stuff could definitely accumulate well. 

yeah some slight timing differences. this run more like yesterday with higher qpf before sunrise and lower after sunset whereas last night was lower before sunrise and more after sunset.. but not really a lot after sunset. In general the vast bulk comes between 12z and 0z for the corridor. think I'd rather try to get a little laid down before sunrise than waiting for the end of storm luck anyway though. we could use another degree or two midday for sure. 

one thing I wonder about is that this is more of a northern stream look. doesn't align till late etc.. instead of something crusing at us from the southern US into a block. these are the types the GFS can win on sometimes. then again I feel like I say the GFS might win a lot and it never does.

one thing I wonder about is that this is more of a northern stream look. doesn't align till late etc.. instead of something crusing at us from the southern US into a block. these are the types the GFS can win on sometimes. then again I feel like I say the GFS might win a lot and it never does.

Don't overthink this. You always say the Euro is the king.

Imagine if the euro and ukie folded to the GFS lol.

I doubt it but if it did, would be quite a spectacle

The para euro has been deadly at hr72. We're just about there. I've never seen anything like it. I'm thinking the only glaring issue is surface temps and not precip amounts or even precip type but rain will come easier if the euro is just a couple degrees too cold.

Archived