joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 19/20 Potential Winter Event

stormtracker

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing with this map is it's a complete shut out for New England. Accuweather was all over this being a major storm for New England and even had potential for NYC, NJ, and Long Island. If current guidance is correct, there will be a lot of dissapointed people north of us :-)

Yeah, NE is on a roller coaster ride from hell.

One of the warning signs for this storm yesterday was that it didn't have a lot of support in the 12z GEFS or GEPS ensembles.  Only 2 GEPS members showed big hits for DC, and no GEFS members did.  A lot of members in both ensembles had no snow at all for DC.  Last night's 00z runs moved towards the middle.  No big hits, but also fewer complete whiffs.

850 freezing line is well south, but sfc freezing line is up in New York.   The warm thickness implies a soaking rain here.

^ I still can't read those maps very well.  Looks like the freezing line is well south down around Richmond, but the 540 is up around MD/PA border.  So what's that mean for us in between?  

good point, but to play the other side of the coin, the EPS members were pretty locked in to the bit hit idea, and that system is usually extremely good.

One of the warning signs for this storm yesterday was that it didn't have a lot of support in the 12z GEFS or GEPS ensembles.  Only 2 GEPS members showed big hits for DC, and no GEFS members did.  A lot of members in both ensembles had no snow at all for DC.  Last night's 00z runs moved towards the middle.  No big hits, but also fewer complete whiffs.

Euro isn't quite as good with northern stream or it hasn't been historically. We've also seen a number of times this winter that weaker systems win in closing. Of course we've also seen some powerhouse lows this winter. Never easy.

850 freezing line is well south, but sfc freezing line is up in New York.   The warm thickness implies a soaking rain here.

I don't see how you can make the call of soaking rain off of that map.  Yeah, the surface freezing line is north, mostly, but if it's 34 and heavy precip, I doubt that it's a soaking rain.  The eastern part of WV has thickness above 540 but the surface is below 32 there.  Doubt that that is soaking rain either.

Euro isn't quite as good with northern stream or it hasn't been historically. We've also seen a number of times this winter that weaker systems win in closing. Of course we've also seen some powerhouse lows this winter. Never easy.

I agree but more often than not when you see 3 op runs in a row with strong ens support it's usually in lock in mode regardless of the setup (inside of 96. Beyond that range any op can and will fail regularly). The gfs is so bouncy that one of the runs is probably right because it throws them all out there. I've had a hard time with the gfs outside of 3 days this year. Run to run consistency is not the GFS's forte. 

I was thinking last night before I went to sleep that if the euro is going to change it's tune it's probably going to be the 0z run because we're just about in the real deadly range. Is what it is. It's a tricky h5 setup and not a classic storm setup. That was in the back of my mind the whole time but I liked what I saw and went with it. 

I blame you for this debacle........... posting that early LWX snow map which basically showed a shut-out.   :P

MDstorm

3-6" on GFS falling during the day with warm ground temps in late March is less than ideal. 1-2" at best elevated surfaces, grass, mulch etc and not til late in the day as the sun gets down.

NAM solution showing rain all day then change to snow late more favorable to put down meaningful accumulations after dark.

Archived