• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 19/20 Potential Winter Event

stormtracker

18z GFS actually improved from 12z for the N and W burbs.

It's definitely the coldest. Same storm track but it noses the high furthest south of all the guidance and keeps most of the area as snow throughout. Looks like it dumps 4 to locally 8 inches with 12" amounts in upslope favored areas of the Allegeny front and BR. March sun angle and warm ground won't do us any favors though. East of the Blue Ridge can shave off 50% of these totals with probably a 1-2/3 inch slush on grass late Saturday night.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crazy the spread on the ensembles both eps and gefs at this range. Several with nothing and some with close to a foot just nw of 95. They can't even figure out the evolution. Right now they are jumping on the Saturday wave but I wonder if the Sunday storn comes back once the models resolve things. The upper support is there for it.

It's crazy the spread on the ensembles both eps and gefs at this range. Several with nothing and some with close to a foot just nw of 95. They can't even figure out the evolution. Right now they are jumping on the Saturday wave but I wonder if the Sunday storn comes back once the models resolve things. The upper support is there for it.

Good post. When the euro bailed on the nuke and consensus showed weak upside I pretty much went into chips fall mode.

But I also noticed the spread. It's a tricky setup in the upper levels. There's good upper level support but it's an unusual progression. I wouldn't be surprised with a complete dud with no impact anywhere or some kind of mini nuke. I was hoping to expect 2" in my yard as a good bet at this point. The event is right on top of us and I don't feel confident in any outcome other than not looking good for an impressive event. But even that isn't completely off the table.

Good post. When the euro bailed on the nuke and consensus showed weak upside I pretty much went into chips fall mode.

But I also noticed the spread. It's a tricky setup in the upper levels. There's good upper level support but it's an unusual progression. I wouldn't be surprised with a complete dud with no impact anywhere or some kind of mini nuke. I was hoping to expect 2" in my yard as a good bet at this point. The event is right on top of us and I don't feel confident in any outcome other than not looking good for an impressive event. But even that isn't completely off the table.

This is a fascinating event to me even without the Euro bomb on the table. It's 9 pm Friday night. The spread in the models for even tomorrow afternoon is still pretty large, let alone for Sunday afternoon. Can anyone say with confidence what's happening tomorrow at 12 pm? Rain? Snow? No precip at all?

And what about the measurable precip swinging through late Sunday night/early Monday morning on the NAM and GFS?

sorry to be a pain, usually dont ask this kind of thing but im mobile and cant check.... got outdoor stuff going on in Sterling up till 11am... does the NAM get me wet prior to t hen?

As far as the hi res NAM I'd lean no, but soon afterwards precip does look more likely

Archived