joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 19/20 Potential Winter Event

stormtracker

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone is so down about the winter.   Pretty much all of us saw an historical storm.  On that rewrote the history books at BWI.

By that logic we should have all just stopped looking after the storm.

Doesn't work that way.  Neither does telling people how they should "feel" about the winter.

Everyone is so down about the winter.   Pretty much all of us saw an historical storm.  On that rewrote the history books at BWI.

I think the deal is, it is cold and miserable this weekend. And if it is gonna get cold and precipitate it should snow!

30s and rain sucks after having 80 degree weather! No fishing this weekend! (well... that can never be said as I would fish in cold weather too!)

I've learned that a great model reading strategy this winter was to choose the model that showed the least amount of snow.

Been following model runs since 1996 and I can tell you that this strategy is the one that works best most years. Think the last few years have spoiled us all with the fact it just wanted to snow.

By that logic we should have all just stopped looking after the storm.

Doesn't work that way.  Neither does telling people how they should "feel" about the winter.

The bugs and weeds never went away. It looks like mid April out there. Its been weird, because even though there was no persistent cold to speak of( and plenty of persistent warm) we did have above normal snow. So imagine how awful it could have been.

Modeling is tough in a strong El Niño. A lot of moving parts in play and seasons like this can be all or nothing unfortunately. From a historical perspective there have been only a half dozen strong El Nino's in this region on record. A couple produced no snow, a couple produced little snow and a couple produced a lot of snow. 2015/2016 was an all or nothing winter but we managed a great blizzard. 36" for me on one storm was just phenomenal.

Many hugged the euro this winter and it has proved that it can fail. It simply isn't a hook line and sinker model and even in this situation where 24 hours ago it's ensemble members supported the op within an "automatic" range. I know I've stated this before but our community both professional and non has developed an over reliance on the euro. I make a living doing this work and I've had to make formal briefings to decision makers over euro hyped snow maps on Twitter more times than I can count. Just yesterday the GFS was deemed a national embarrassment and receives little praise when it does right.

Everyone is so down about the winter. Pretty much all of us saw an historical storm. On that rewrote the history books at BWI.

This years blizz was great, but it didn't exceed my expectations of 36" in 2010...which I missed for Disney World. I'm still bitter about that. Anyway--hope next years La Niña can produce...beach weather. :-( Suffering.

NAM is interesting for the NW Burbs tomorrow. Hr 27 is loltastic . Lol 1" per hour snowfall for like 1 hour. 3" for DC. EDITED to remove the : O , this event isn't close to : O worthy. If Westminster is ripping and 34 tomorrow, that's would be from the same stuff NAM is showing.

Yea, how many times has it been raining throughout virtually the entire state of WV and +SN in the District and southern MD at the same time?

A hearty guffaw, NAM.

I assume it's responding to rate of precip. Or it's just crazy. That may be the story of tomorrow with rates and what is falling.

I assume it's responding to rate of precip. Or it's just crazy. That may be the story of tomorrow with rates and what is falling.

Its rates. The heavy precip through that area has surface temps in the low 30s, while areas further north are in the upper 30s and even 40 in PA. Who knows if its correct on placement, but thats probably how it will go down.

I have seen snow fall in heavy precip with rain all around it! Pretty wild and possible in heavy recip. IF NAM is right (and we know that If is no!) then it could!

Its more common this time of year where surface cold is marginal. Under the heavier precip, dynamical cooling does its thing.

Many hugged the euro this winter and it has proved that it can fail. It simply isn't a hook line and sinker model and even in this situation where 24 hours ago it's ensemble members supported the op within an "automatic" range. I know I've stated this before but our community both professional and non has developed an over reliance on the euro. I make a living doing this work and I've had to make formal briefings to decision makers over euro hyped snow maps on Twitter more times than I can count. Just yesterday the GFS was deemed a national embarrassment and receives little praise when it does right.

Well said!

Archived