joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The AnaFront/Coastal Storm Disco 02/05/16

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys ,., why do you post whole NWS AFD's ...?   seriously - that's annoying. we know where to find them.  If you want to use a fragment or something some how some way sure.  But just blamming 7 paragraphs including marine products sometimes even.  

anyway, I think there's a 50/50 shot at a positive bust here for those totals.  

guys ,., why do you post whole NWS AFD's ...? seriously - that's annoying. we know where to find them. If you want to use a fragment or something some how some way sure. But just blamming 7 paragraphs including marine products sometimes even.

Sometimes your posts are much longer than an AFD

guys ,., why do you post whole NWS AFD's ...? seriously - that's annoying. we know where to find them. If you want to use a fragment or something some how some way sure. But just blamming 7 paragraphs including marine products sometimes even.

I expect them to bust for my hood by about 100%

Sorry haven't had any time at all to post this past week.

I expected this to tick NW, but did not expect this extent and so late in the game.

Anyone care to comment on why we are seeing such a pronounced late shift?

Really interesting.

Here are my thoughts.

The gif below compares H5 for same timepoint (12z Friday) on GFS run Feb 2 vs. GFS run Feb 4.

You can see the ridge in the Atlantic more stout and this achieves several inter-related things:

1) the trough over the northeast is sharper, more negatively tilted, and further northwest

2) the right entrance region of the jet streak is now nicely positioned to induce cyclogenesis south of us

3) the influx of moisture from the Gulf is now targeting right into SNE

post-3106-0-14399400-1454628499_thumb.gi

2) the right entrance region of the jet streak has shifted several hundred miles west and is now nicely positioned to induce cyclogenesis south of SNE:

post-3106-0-21384100-1454629138_thumb.pn

3) the influx of moisture from the Gulf is now shifted west targeting right into SNE:

post-3106-0-41542000-1454629149_thumb.pn

The end result is we've evolved from an anafrontal system sweeping across SNE to a system with midlevel circulation and inherently a more poleward trajectory.

Once the fundamental nature and mechanics of the system changed, the ensuing trajectory can change pretty quickly as we've seen in trends in the past 24 hours.

Sorry haven't had any time at all to post this past week.

I expected this to tick NW, but did not expect this extent and so late in the game.

Really interesting.

Here are my thoughts.

The gif below compares H5 for same timepoint (12z Friday) on GFS run Feb 2 vs. GFS run Feb 4.

You can see the ridge in the Atlantic more stout and this achieves several inter-related things:

1) the trough over the northeast is sharper, more negatively tilted, and further northwest

2) the right entrance region of the jet streak is now nicely positioned to induce cyclogenesis south of us

3) the influx of moisture from the Gulf is now targeting right into SNE

attachicon.gifoutput_CcGfj9.gif

2) the right entrance region of the jet streak has shifted several hundred miles west and is now nicely positioned to induce cyclogenesis south of SNE:

3) the influx of moisture from the Gulf is now shifted west targeting right into SNE:

The end result is we've evolved from an anafrontal system sweeping across SNE to a system with midlevel circulation and inherently a more poleward trajectory.

Once the fundamental nature and mechanics of the system changed, the ensuing trajectory can change pretty quickly as we've seen in trends in the past 24 hours.

Excellent discussion and graphics.

Archived