Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

?? doesnt make sense to me. 

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 3 PM EST
FRIDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST CONNECTICUT...MUCH OF CENTRAL AND
EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...AND NORTHERN RHODE ISLAND.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES...WITH THE
HIGHEST AMOUNTS NEAR INTERSTATE 95.

Crusher thru 18

acsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

Congrats you SNE/ENE weenies...as much as I b*tch about this winter, these are the best types of storms.  The positive busts.  That's the best feeling in the hobby, realizing that 24 hours ago you were hoping for an hour of light snow, and now you're going to be plowing.  It really doesn't get more exciting than the escalating model runs immediately prior to hour zero.

Post some photos of the caking. 

Congrats you SNE/ENE weenies...as much as I b*tch about this winter, these are the best types of storms.  The positive busts.  That's the best feeling in the hobby, realizing that 24 hours ago you were hoping for an hour of light snow, and now you're going to be plowing.  It really doesn't get more exciting than the escalating model runs immediately prior to hour zero.

Post some photos of the caking. 

Amen to that! This AM my p&c was for accumulations of up to an inch (up from 1/2"). Now 8-12 is a possibility. Incredible!

Is there any logic behind why the dewpoints have jumped across E LI - SE CT and S RI?

All 3 places were in the mid 30's but the onset of the rain, they jumped to around 40 while New Haven and Bridgeport have continued to drop even though there is precip falling in those locations.

I haven't heard mention of a Coastal Front with this storm yet - Could this be one setting up?

I just don't agree, maybe I am wrong but just got this from work from HS CT

External Winter Storm Update from DESPP / DEMHS

Please see the attached snowfall forecast…

Good Afternoon,

The latest runs of the GFS, NAM and EURO models have moved tomorrow morning’s storm closer again to New England.  The models remain in good agreement.  We are now expecting a moderate wet snowfall to impact the Friday morning rush hour in Central and Eastern CT.  A Winter Storm Warning has been issued for Windham county and Winter Weather Advisories have been issued for most of the rest of Connecticut except for Litchfield county.  Here is the latest forecast based on a blend of the GFS, NAM and EURO models:

This Evening…Rain and mixed precipitation spreading into Southern and Eastern CT between 8:00 PM and midnight.  No impact on this evening’s travel is expected.

Overnight...The mixed precipitation is expected to changeover to wet snow starting on the hilltops around midnight and working down into the valleys by 3:00 AM.  The wet snow is forecast to become moderate east of the I-91 corridor and spread into western CT by 3:00 AM.  Temperatures are forecast to still be above freezing in the mid 30’s and roadways should be about 5 F warmer.  Therefore the falling snow may not stick to most treated roads overnight.  The exception may be the hilltops in Eastern CT where moderate to heavy snow may start to stick by daybreak.  The impact on overnight travel is expected to be minor in most towns.   Some power outages are likely to start occurring by daybreak as 2 – 4 inches of wet snow on branches is likely to snap some limbs. 

Friday Morning…Moderate to heavy wet snow is expected in Central and Eastern CT with light to moderate snow in Western CT thru the morning rush hour.  Temperatures are forecast to however around 32 F.  Most roads in Western and Central CT should only be wet with slush between the lanes.  Roads in Eastern CT may become snow covered by rush hour in the higher elevations and slush covered in the valleys.  A minor to moderate number of power outages are possible in Central and Eastern CT as the wet snow sticks to branches and may bring down a good number of limbs.  The overall impact on the morning rush hour is expected to be minor west of I-91 and moderate east of the I-91 corridor.  The snow is forecast to end from west to east between 10:00 AM and 1:00 PM.

Total snowfall accumulations are forecast to range from 1” – 3” in Western CT, 3” – 5” in Central CT and 4” – 6” in Eastern CT.  Higher amounts on hilltops are likely.  Most of these accumulations will be on grassy surfaces and trees especially in the higher elevations.  Some accumulation is also expected on roadways in Eastern CT.   

Forecast confidence is good however the snowfall gradient is still fairly narrow and any change in the timing of the changeover to snow may have a significant impact on snowfall. 

The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security will continue to monitor this winter storm and issue additional updates if necessary. 

Is there any logic behind why the dewpoints have jumped across E LI - SE CT and S RI?

All 3 places were in the mid 30's but the onset of the rain, they jumped to around 40 while New Haven and Bridgeport have continued to drop even though there is precip falling in those locations.

I haven't heard mention of a Coastal Front with this storm yet - Could this be one setting up?

Rain. Temps and dews will slowly trickle down as winds go NW-N.

Adding to what CoastalWx said, look at the PWS at 6:15 or so.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=MAS580#history/tgraphs/s20160204/e20160204/mdaily

Then scan loop for 23:15 at 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=OKX-N0Q-1-48

Matches up pretty nicely.

Archived