joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually kinda like the Euro run based on wunderground maps. Looks like we are close to or below freezing for a good portion of the event and some of the precip falls at night. I'm thinking it could be a 1-3/2-4 type deal which would be great.

Using the wxbell 6 hr panels, temps in DC don't hit 32 til 0z Wednesday. And after that only about .2 falls. I'm not buying what the snow maps are showing for the metro areas.

Using the wxbell 6 hr panels, temps in DC don't hit 32 til 0z Wednesday. And after that only about .2 falls. I'm not buying what the snow maps are showing for the metro areas.

The wunderground 2m above ground temps are unreliable. On that map the 28-32 contour is touching DC at 6z Tuesday and the red 0C line is south of DC.  By 9z Tuesday DC is 100% in the 28-32 contour.  Then back above freezing at 18z.  

So apparently twitter wants to implement an algorithmic timeline, meaning the tweets at the top of your timeline are what twitter thinks "you want to see" like facebook. Wouldn't this be a huge problem for meteorologists? Say CWG says: "radar looks clear for DC, snow expected to start later" and then tweets two hours later "heavy snowband to enter DC metro area". But when you log onto twitter, you see the first tweet, because it got more likes or retweets. This seems it could wrangle some of the conveniency of outreach throught twitter in meteorology circles.

So apparently twitter wants to implement an algorithmic timeline, meaning the tweets at the top of your timeline are what twitter thinks "you want to see" like facebook. Wouldn't this be a huge problem for meteorologists? Say CWG says: "radar looks clear for DC, snow expected to start later" and then tweets two hours later "heavy snowband to enter DC metro area". But when you log onto twitter, you see the first tweet, because it got more likes or retweets. This seems it could wrangle some of the conveniency of outreach throught twitter in meteorology circles.

I hate the idea. Thinking the same thing for current events

I decided to chase into Jefferson County again yesterday afternoon. You can see more areal snow cover beginning near the Rt 7 bypass. It really becomes evident as you approach the turnoff to Rt 9 most likely due to elevation around Paeonian Springs. This region had more snow than Dale City had, and they were also colder overall. By the time I reached the Jefferson County/West Virginia border, 60 percent areal snowpack coverage was evident. Depth ranged from 2 to as much as 7 inches, even deeper in leftover drifts. I am sure that snowpack conditions are even more randytastic in Harper's Ferry and in Glengary, where 45 inches of snow fell last month. Tonight's refreshing cool temps will freeze and stabilize the snowpack up here overnight.

This is Jeb, reporting to you LIVE from Jefferson County in wild, wonderful West Virginia!

I decided to chase into Jefferson County again yesterday afternoon. You can see more areal snow cover beginning near the Rt 7 bypass. It really becomes evident as you approach the turnoff to Rt 9 most likely due to elevation around Paeonian Springs. This region had more snow than Dale City had, and they were also colder overall. By the time I reached the Jefferson County/West Virginia border, 60 percent areal snowpack coverage was evident. Depth ranged from 2 to as much as 7 inches, even deeper in leftover drifts. I am sure that snowpack conditions are even more randytastic in Harper's Ferry and in Glengary, where 45 inches of snow fell last month. Tonight's refreshing cool temps will freeze and stabilize the snowpack up here overnight.

This is Jeb, reporting to you LIVE from Jefferson County in wild, wonderful West Virginia!

My backyard faces south.  Some large patches of snow left but that is it.  Need a refill.

Archived