joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just laugh at the notion that one memorable storm makes a winter.  If we go snowless the rest of the way, then the only winter in the 8 that I have lived here worse than this one will have been 2011-2012.  This winter has been awful.  I will concede to the fact that it is only Feb 1, so I make no final judgement at this time.

I just laugh at the notion that one memorable storm makes a winter.  If we go snowless the rest of the way, then the only winter in the 8 that I have lived here worse than this one will have been 2011-2012.  This winter has been awful.  I will concede to the fact that it is only Feb 1, so I make no final judgement at this time.

We need to snap out of it.  Nose to the ground. Sniff sniff.  It is FEB 1.  It will happen.

Nothing like people going all "woe is me" after one of the best snows ever

Well, I think the winter as is, if it were over, would still be a pretty poor one.  BUT, it is Feb 1, and by March 15, my opinion might be that it was a great winter.  What I don't understand is what people expect to see when looking at models 7+days in advance.  It's pretty much a futile exercise most of the time.

I guess everyone has their own standards. To each their own. I want winter to feel like winter. If December wasn't a huge torch and we didn't immediately go warm after the one big storm we got, I might feel differently. With 2 months of met winter in the books, the overall warmth trumps the storm.

My toes are still uncurling and body still in reset mode after our HECS...we had a top 3 all time storm before February 1 and panic is setting in again? Are you kidding me?

you aren't new here... none of this should come as a surprise. 

Well, I think the winter as is, if it were over, would still be a pretty poor one. BUT, it is Feb 1, and by March 15, my opinion might be that it was a great winter. What I don't understand is what people expect to see when looking at models 7+days in advance. It's pretty much a futile exercise most of the time.

That has to be a joke. Any winter where you have a top 3 all time storm CAN'T be poor.

That's a good post Mitch. My thoughts are pretty simplified through mid month. There's cold delivery in place and some blocking. It's flawed with the tough axis and also what appears to be a pretty active northern stream + atlantic ridging. My hunch is odds based. Multiple shortwaves and cold in the neighborhood during prime snow climo should probably produce something. Given the negative factors in place any production will come with some flaws too. The para euro actually has the type of mixed event d10 that would fit my thinking. 

As far as SSW's go...I'm not a big fan of relying on them. I don't really even consider them until 1) they actually happen and 2) there is a favorable response in the troposphere. We a good bit away from knowing anything there. 

Lastly, flips from Dec +AO to a Jan -AO definitely favor a -AO in Feb and even March but the signal gets muddy in March so who knows. 

Combine all this with a +ENSO and I think cancelling winter is a bit silly right now. Anyone who says they think winter is done is making a definitive 45 day forecast. Good luck with that. We don't even know what's going to happen in 7 days with the best weather models on the planet at our fingertips. 

That's an understatement.

:lmao:

So sorry you lost a member of your family. Please stay inside during these dangerously warm times.

UGH Frosty. The movie is burned into my brain following a month long binge of it from my toddler.

"Frosty with kids" as she calls it... sigh. 

That has to be a joke. Any winter where you have a top 3 all time storm CAN'T be poor.

No it's a joke that you guys think 36 hours can make a winter.  Totally ridiculous.

What if every year I told you that winter would last from 7am on Dec 1 to 7pm on Dec 2.  It would snow 2" per hour the entire time, but at 7pm on Dec 2, winter was over.  How many would sign up for that?

Well, that's basically what we have had.  And, IMO, I think to date it's a pitiful winter.  You know, I'm entitled to an opinion.  I don't go around here telling you guys what to think.  I just tell you what I think.

You do the same.  You can tell me what you think.  You are not going to tell me what I think.

Mid 50s conditions with steady rain. Areal snow coverage is decreasing, down to about 50 percent. Its the mild overnight temps/dewpoints that are doing the heavy lifting though. Last night the low was 48/48. Even snowpiles are dwindling rather fast.

No more subdivision road problems with plowbergs after Wed for sure.

I am already doing preliminary yard work in the areas that snow has already melted, cleaning up fallen branches.

Archived