• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

The blizzard was an anomaly. February is our month historically . Nooooooo freakin way we go snowless in February. Never happen. Day 6-15 looks fun imo...let's do it.

Rest up, stock up on Red Bull because we got a lot of stayin up for models soon, and very soon. Feb is going to be a fun month.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it's a joke that you guys think 36 hours can make a winter. Totally ridiculous.

What if every year I told you that winter would last from 7am on Dec 1 to 7pm on Dec 2. It would snow 2" per hour the entire time, but at 7pm on Dec 2, winter was over. How many would sign up for that?

Well, that's basically what we have had. And, IMO, I think to date it's a pitiful winter. You know, I'm entitled to an opinion. I don't go around here telling you guys what to think. I just tell you what I think.

You do the same. You can tell me what you think. You are not going to tell me what I think.

Lulz. You are getting a bit prickly lately. I still love you though.

No it's a joke that you guys think 36 hours can make a winter.  Totally ridiculous.

What if every year I told you that winter would last from 7am on Dec 1 to 7pm on Dec 2.  It would snow 2" per hour the entire time, but at 7pm on Dec 2, winter was over.  How many would sign up for that?

Well, that's basically what we have had.  And, IMO, I think to date it's a pitiful winter.  You know, I'm entitled to an opinion.  I don't go around here telling you guys what to think.  I just tell you what I think.

You do the same.  You can tell me what you think.  You are not going to tell me what I think.

Have to agree with you (though I wouldn't exactly call it pitiful). Though the trill of a blockbuster storm is intense it only lasts for the period of time it takes to chase and then experience it. So you are talking maybe a week at best. To go through 5 months and only truly experience winter for a week of it, no matter how intense, would leave a sour taste in my mouth. Give me a good solid 30 to 40 inches spread out over the course of the winter. Of course, if I had my choice I would rather have a blockbuster plus the 30 to 40 spread out as well. :)

Lulz. You are getting a bit prickly lately. I still love you though.

:lol:  It's wearing on my nerves man.

Nah, I'm kinda immune right now.  I have a few projects coming in the spring that I'm anxious to start, so I'm not really as invested this year as in the past.

It is what it is though.  My likes and dislikes don't matter at all when it comes to weather.

Have to agree with you (though I wouldn't exactly call it pitiful). Though the trill of a blockbuster storm is intense it only lasts for the period of time it takes to chase and then experience it. So you are talking maybe a week at best. To go through 5 months and only truly experience winter for a week of it, no matter how intense, would leave a sour taste in my mouth. Give me a good solid 30 to 40 inches spread out over the course of the winter. Of course, if I had my choice I would rather have a blockbuster plus the 30 to 40 spread out as well. :)

Compared to 2012-2013 this winter was phenomenal.  

:lol:  It's wearing on my nerves man.

Nah, I'm kinda immune right now.  I have a few projects coming in the spring that I'm anxious to start, so I'm not really as invested this year as in the past.

It is what it is though.  My likes and dislikes don't matter at all when it comes to weather.

I hear you. If i had a choice like you gave every winter for 36 hours of winter and 30" i would say no. But every 5 or 10 years a monster with not much else is fine by me. Think on the bright side, in July we will have days and days of temps in the 100's.

I relentlessly troll you because I know in just a few short weeks we will be brothers in arms defending the only thing we do well around here--hot air.

I find this fact to be quite hilarious :)

I don't mind at all I find it funny myself. and I thought H20 was the only one that made me laugh.

Compared to 2012-2013 this winter was phenomenal.  

...and 2011-2012 for that matter.  I'd even throw in 2010-2011, which other than the Commutageddon paste job I don't recall much else about that one that rates much of a 2nd glance.  And better than 2005-2006, which had the one event in February (that was better farther north) followed by 60 degrees a couple of days later (again, other than that I don't recall much worthwhile that year...and it had a ridiculously warm January).

Fun fact: we're still running at +5 to +6 for the season so far

Yes, indeed.  A +11.5 December sort of helps in that regard.  We're all but guaranteed one of the top warmest DJF periods despite January being a bit below normal.  No matter what this month does, barring it being unexpectedly as brutally cold as last February...which ain't going to happen by any stretch of the imagination...I think it's a lock that we'll end up with one of the warmest winters.

...and 2011-2012 for that matter.  I'd even throw in 2010-2011, which other than the Commutageddon paste job I don't recall much else about that one that rates much of a 2nd glance.  And better than 2005-2006, which had the one event in February (that was better farther north) followed by 60 degrees a couple of days later (again, other than that I don't recall much worthwhile that year...and it had a ridiculously warm January).

Absolutely.  Plus the fact that the blizzard was so well modeled made it even better.  I got to look at 7 straight days of essentially perfect model runs bullseyeing our entire subforum.  That week of anticipation for me was as good as a month of cold with a few 2-4 or 3-6 inch events.  

...and 2011-2012 for that matter. I'd even throw in 2010-2011, which other than the Commutageddon paste job I don't recall much else about that one that rates much of a 2nd glance. And better than 2005-2006, which had the one event in February (that was better farther north) followed by 60 degrees a couple of days later (again, other than that I don't recall much worthwhile that year...and it had a ridiculously warm January).

12-13 was a good winter out here, especially March.

11-12 was awful.

10-11 was an eyelash from being a good winter regionally. We had the big storm in late January. We had a strong clipper slip under us in early Dec that brought a good snow to central Va. We missed Boxing Day by about 75-100 miles. We had a good clipper in early Jan that trended badly in the last 24 hours. We had a good snow storm in mid Feb that had a warm layer sneak in and give us mostly sleet while 30 miles north of me had 8" of snow. Crazy close to being a good winter.

11-12 was awful.

10-11 was an eyelash from being a good winter regionally. We had the big storm in late January. We had a strong clipper slip under us in early Dec that brought a good snow to central Va. We missed Boxing Day by about 75-100 miles. We had a good clipper in early Jan that trended badly in the last 24 hours. We had a good snow storm in mid Feb that had a warm layer sneak in and give us mostly sleet while 30 miles north of me had 8" of snow. Crazy close to being a good winter.

Yeah, 10-11 is underrated.  I had barely under 20" on the season and one fun storm in Commutagedon.  Otherwise though, we were pennied and nickeled to death with lots of T-2" events.  Cold winter though and could have been great snow-wise with a little luck.  Can't really complain when I get almost climo snow and BN temps. 

11-12 was awful.

Yeah, I guess up your way '12-13 would have fared better, particularly for the early March bust here closer into town.  And you may have done better in other events.  But metro areas, it really sucked.  Except for the March 25 "surprise" that semi-salvaged that year.

I'll grant you '10-11 was near to being a pretty good one, again perhaps especially out where you're at.  There was Jan. 26 of course (Commutageddon).  I recall we just missed something in February that did appear in the models for awhile then went poof.  And yes, the Boxing Day event was a crushing disappointment that ruined an otherwise nicely cold and blocky December.

I've said this before, but I still actually liked 2006-07 in terms of a pretty decent back-loaded winter.  If only for February alone, which was extremely cold (similar to last February, 2015) and had opportunities.  The one thing keeping that from being truly memorable was just missing the Valentine's Day storm that gave us 3" sleet here which later turned into a block of solid ice.  And the Feb. 25 5" paste event.  Again, where you're at, I'm guessing you scored better on the V-Day one than folks closer in town to DC-Balt.

I drove around tonight --- surprising amount of snow, especially on north facing lawns --- Glendale Rd north facing lawns had fully 9 inches of snow. Snow piles are still imposing. Drifted areas still have a lot of snow.

However, Wednesday is going to dump a TON of rain, and some of that rain will be heavy. Temperatures are not going to help us much east of the Blue Ridge, we are looking at mid 60s at least with heavy rains.

I fully expect near 100 percent loss of the remaining snowpack. The snowpiles and drifts will be severely annihilated.

I am certain that by Thursday morning I will have to go to Glengary, West Virginia, in order to find any snow at all.

But this is only a minor setback for our snowtown. This month is going to be very fun - and VERY memorable in terms of snowstorms for the Mid Atlantic.

Get those shovels ready - We are FAR from done yet with snow.

Your the man, Jebman lol. I've got my shovel ready! I piled up some snow in a shady area to preserve it as long as possible. I've got my shovel stuck into it. I leave it there for good juju. I might have to stand it back up in a few days. But it will stand until it's need again. I'm with you.. I'm in!

I'll forever hate 10-11 because of boxing day. Coming off of 09-10 had me all cocky about being a mega snow town. That storm punched me in the face and then back up and kicked me in the a$$.

Considering the winters that followed, it was pretty nice. It was quite cold overall, and enough minor to moderate events to make it decent in the snow dept. I did slightly better than climo avg snow here, including 5" on Boxing Day *ducks*

Archived