SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing OPM closes again tomorrow bc of what Bob writes. Lots of neighborhood roads still in rough shape.

Schools open Thursday earliest, but I'm starting to doubt that.

I'm thinking so too. Even major roads like Route 50/K Street/18th Street that have black pavement are missing lanes because theres no where to put all the snow. If OPM opens tomorrow there would be massive gridlock from all the missing lanes.

I inferred it from the montgomery county snow removal map. They are still working on primary and emergency routes. All the side streets need to be done by front loader. Too deep to plow. Very slow process that hasn't even begun.

Yes, that's slower than 12/09 and 2/5-6/10. After 12/09, roads were plowed remarkably quickly for a 20"+ storm for our county. 

Here's the link for MoCo. It's pretty insane how many roads haven't even been touched yet. My street is a little horseshoe with about 40 homes. We're low priority. lol 

http://www7.montgomerycountymd.gov/snowmap/

not surprised.  this snow was mad deep.  even in the lowlands of bethesda, i easily got 20-24" and there were legitimate drifts.

there really is a difference between a mecs and hecs.  it's noticeable.  you get to that hecs level and cars are almost completely covered.  i imagine some of the upper moco locations like damascus/boyds, etc, probably got 30" easy.  the side streets are probably a mess.

went to montgomery mall and some of the mounds of snow from the plows are epic.  it's basically a new england scene right now.

For those of you newer to the area: The first day back when OPM opens after a HECS has always been a complete nightmare of a commute. Reporters basically don't need to write the article-- just copy and paste from the previous storm. It's always the same deal of missing lanes, metro stretched beyond what it's capable of delivering that day, stories of people shoving each other on over-crowded platforms, people driving not reaching their work spot until 3 pm only to turn around and leave two hours later to repeat the nightmare the other direction. 

Yes, that's slower than 12/09 and 2/5-6/10. After 12/09, roads were plowed remarkably quickly for a 20"+ storm for our county. 

jan 16 > dec 09.  i'd put this in the same bracket as '96.  it's possible this is one tiny step below 96, and one tiny step above snowmaggedon and pd2.  can't decide on those 4, but that's what i'm leaning towards as an overall storm.  

Not a single street in my neighborhood has been touched outside of the emergency routes. No timetable for the side streets. Definitely not today or tomorrow. This is worse than Feb 2010.

Same here Bob. Just got back from a 2 mile walk. Most streets not even touched. 3'-4' drifts on

a lot of them. Definitely front end loader work. Some interactions on Broadwood dr have 10' piles blocking them.

Area is shut down. A lot worse than 2010

Neat map here.

http://www.weather.gov/erh/hydromet?event=stormTotalv3_12&element=snow&centeron=PHI

Definitely off in some areas (like N. Baltimore Co. and NoVa), but looks good for Central and NE MD. I was really hoping there would be some spotter reports across the way in Cecil, but alas, I'm all alone.

I'm going with 20.5" as my total, which I believe to be conservative based on reports to my west and north. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell how much I actually got. It sure does bug me lol...

WB, I went with 20" storm total. I worked at it. Same caveats as everyone. The closest spotter report is 24" in Belcamp. I think my total might be conservative too, but otoh I don't think that difference is unbelievable, for ex. they prob got more Bel Air deathband edge

I never expect to be a totals winner so no pressure there, haha. This was a great storm, big snow, long duration...happiness.

Anyone else hate sunny days after major snowstorms? I keep on trying to will the clouds overhead.

+1

I have a question about snowfall measurements compared to snowfall depth:

I understand that snowfall reports by spotters, etc are from using the every six hours method, and adding those periods up for total snowfall.  I wish those obs also had snowfall depth measurements as of the end of the storm, but I didn't see any (except for a couple airports).

How much difference would there be in a storm this size between total observed snowfall and snow depth after the storm ends?  I know it would vary based on the snow ratio and other factors, but what would be a ballpark guess?  For example - take a 30-inch observed snowfall amount from this event - would that yield a depth of say 24 inches?  27?

I am wondering because I had a depth at the end of the storm of 24 inches, and I see multiple 30-34" spotter obs from nearby.  Thanks for any answers!

I have a question about snowfall measurements compared to snowfall depth:

I understand that snowfall reports by spotters, etc are from using the every six hours method, and adding those periods up for total snowfall.  I wish those obs also had snowfall depth measurements as of the end of the storm, but I didn't see any (except for a couple airports).

How much difference would there be in a storm this size between total observed snowfall and snow depth after the storm ends?  I know it would vary based on the snow ratio and other factors, but what would be a ballpark guess?  For example - take a 30-inch observed snowfall amount from this event - would that yield a depth of say 24 inches?  27?

I am wondering because I had a depth at the end of the storm of 24 inches, and I see multiple 30-34" spotter obs from nearby.  Thanks for any answers!

compaction and/or drifting will make snow depth higher or lower than snowfall. 

Not a single street in my neighborhood has been touched outside of the emergency routes. No timetable for the side streets. Definitely not today or tomorrow. This is worse than Feb 2010.

Interesting observation. In 2010 we didn't even have a plow attempt to do our street until Tuesday, and that one broke down and we were socked in by the next storm until Friday am (full 7 days). This time, there was never a point where our road wasn't passable. While I'm sure something changed with priority, I can't help but think that despite similar totals here, 2010 was heavier and the plows couldn't keep up, while this one was more drawn out. The condition of the roads definitely is a factor in tipping 2010 over 2016 in my mind.

WaPo: The District’s head of homeland security and emergency services said Monday that he doesn’t accept the official snow tally for the city that came out of Reagan National Airport, and believes the storm ranks second all-time to the so-called Knickerbocker storm of 1922.

Chris T. Geldart has over the last day repeatedly said that D.C. received “two feet” of snow. Asked Monday about the official number of 17.8 inches, Geldart said “that’s not true.”

Geldart said that city estimates show that snowfall across the city ranged from 20 inches to, in places, 23 inches.

“In general, we got 22 inches of snow in the District,” he said.......

Geldart said his position is clear: “Since the Knickerbocker storm, this is the largest storm that we’ve had in one fall of snow.”

Interesting observation. In 2010 we didn't even have a plow attempt to do our street until Tuesday, and that one broke down and we were socked in by the next storm until Friday am (full 7 days). This time, there was never a point where our road wasn't passable. While I'm sure something changed with priority, I can't help but think that despite similar totals here, 2010 was heavier and the plows couldn't keep up, while this one was more drawn out. The condition of the roads definitely is a factor in tipping 2010 over 2016 in my mind.

Our 150-yard, inclined cul-de-sac was cleared yesterday afternoon, but it took them two hours just to do that.  We took a walk afterwards, and the main road in our subdivision had only been about 25% plowed - that means that at least 75% of the streets off of that one hadn't been touched.  I heard that one guy got stuck last night.

We didn't see a plow between Feb 5-12 in 2010, so things were definitely better here this time.  Still, there's still a couple inches of packed snow and ice on places that have been plowed.  Our crews are working really hard, but the equipment is just barely enough to get the job done...if at all.

I disagree with Mr. Geldart in the above quote. I think it's actually pretty clear that 2/5-6/10 was a bit more in DC proper overall than this storm. There were definitely more reports above 24" with that storm.

Definitely a bigger storm in my area in Feb 2010. I measured 22 in my back this storm. I measured 28" in 2010. Roads were worse then, too. That was my GOAT storm.

Definitely a bigger storm in my area in Feb 2010. I measured 22 in my back this storm. I measured 28" in 2010. Roads were worse then, too. That was my GOAT storm.

The snowfall gradient for this one was much more classic for our area--- the bands run SSW to NNE. 2/10 was more a N-S gradient across the area. So, Howard County and Anne Arundel counties were less in this one than in 2/10. 

Man, the Catskills and Hudson Valley in NY having a tough year. I feel like over the last 10 years that region has been especially screwed. When I was a kid growing up in the northern burbs of NYC we used to hog all the snow now it seems like the coast always wins.

Seems like the area up around Lake Placid, NY are the same way. They seem to have had about 8-10 years of dry winters. Seems like the coastal areas do better.

Seems like the area up around Lake Placid, NY are the same way. They seem to have had about 8-10 years of dry winters. Seems like the coastal areas do better.

Yeah, it's very strange.  It seems like the rain/snow line used to always hang out near the Tappan Zee Bridge and areas well N and W would do great.  I wonder if climate change is influencing storm tracks.  

Archived