Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sh*tty storm here. Definitely doesn't come close to any of the three big ones of 09/10. Didn't get a blizzard either.

Not even sure how much I got from this. APG south of me says 29", which is completely absurd, and Belcamp to the west is at 24", which might be a bit too high as well. I barely have 2ft drifts.

Rant done.

I feel bad for you and Snowpocalypse in Elkton, you were really close to big stuff, where I am in Bel Air (maybe like 2 miles SSE of Ravens94) I would guess we have like 28" here and some mounds of snow are 7' high. I think the jackpot area ran from Winchester to Leesburg to Frederick to Westminster to Parkton to Jarrettsville and anywhere within 15 miles of there. Annapolis, Severna Park, Havre De Grace, and most of Cecil County were in the screw zone but GFS always seemed to keep that area near or below 14" while Baltimore County and S/W was always 22" plus. NEVER on any model was that area jackpot. Must have been some kind of Gradient going down Rt 22/Rt 155.

Jebwalks are beyond incredible.

Ever try jebwalking a 27 inch snowpack?

I was definitely NOT walkin at 5mph in that snow. It is REALLY DEEP.

Everyone is busy trying to dig out. Plows are all over too. I thought I'd get an early start. So, I rose at 530am and shoveled out the entrance to my drive way and part of the driveway.

While I was helping my neighbors, the plow made a few passes.

When I got back, I found another four foot snow berm right across my work. It's really challenging trying to wade across a four foot deep plowed snow berm. The snow was soft, and I sank right up to my thighs.

The berm can wait for tomorrow. These plow drivers need to learn how to drive.

Jeb, I went out for about four hours today digging people out. I was in short sleeves at the end. Are you proud of me?

Congrats on the storm buddy.

VERY. Way to go, helping others out.

The way I see it, I wished for it, so I try to get out and help a few people dig out.

Post-storm depression has set in. You spend 6 days straight 4 times a day checking models, day dreaming about 4 inches of QPF. Lack of sleep because you're up until 1-2am for EURO then wake up to check the 6z runs...And then, it's over....This is a real disorder that psychologists have not yet diagnosed. 

Haha...me and you both. Maybe we'll get another chance to chase this season? :whistle:

I left a pot out to collect snow in to melt it down for QPF... but I don't think it's gonna be possible to get an accurate reading. Has anyone else attempted/succeeded in getting liquid equivalents?

Not too far from you, I tried to keep a core sample each time I cleared the driveway and melted down about 2.6-2.7 inches (adding up accumulations was 26 inches).

Post-storm depression has set in. You spend 6 days straight 4 times a day checking models, day dreaming about 4 inches of QPF. Lack of sleep because you're up until 1-2am for EURO then wake up to check the 6z runs...And then, it's over....This is a real disorder that psychologists have not yet diagnosed. 

Here's how you get relief.

Go outside with the shovel of your choice, and dig some of that nice deep snow.

Thats the cure.

That's what this hobby is really all about, right?

Or take a nice jebwalk. Look all around and enjoy the snowscapes around you. Go to your neighbor whom you are friends with, and start a snowball fight that grows til the entire neighborhood is involved!

Thats surefire relief.

Be interesting to see how low it can go tonight. Great radiational cooling conditions with deep snow cover and clear skies. Forecast low here is 12. I usually go under here on nights like this.

Temperature's gonna fall faster than a toboggan down an Olympic run. I'll probably fall to 5 above. This is one DEEP, DEEP snowpack.

I feel bad for you and Snowpocalypse in Elkton, you were really close to big stuff, where I am in Bel Air (maybe like 2 miles SSE of Ravens94) I would guess we have like 28" here and some mounds of snow are 7' high. I think the jackpot area ran from Winchester to Leesburg to Frederick to Westminster to Parkton to Jarrettsville and anywhere within 15 miles of there. Annapolis, Severna Park, Havre De Grace, and most of Cecil County were in the screw zone but GFS always seemed to keep that area near or below 14" while Baltimore County and S/W was always 22" plus. NEVER on any model was that area jackpot. Must have been some kind of Gradient going down Rt 22/Rt 155.

Lol don't feel bad for me. It is what it is.

I just have to figure out how much I got. Maybe 20"? I think 20" is a good # considering that at about 4:30PM yesterday I measured 16.5" in an area that is prone to having the top layer shaved off, and also compaction surely occurred throughout the day there. For about an hour after that there was still good snow coming down, but by then the wind was too high to do anything regarding measuring.

Archived