12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Banter Thread #2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried to post the CWG article but for some reason I can't copy it from the post link to a new thread.  Also,  everyone get a grip, the upper system is still in the Pacific.  Small variations are expected at these time ranges. 

Lay down that smack down Wes!

And then there's the 12z eps in like 45 minutes

I don't want to bet against the Euro because it's solution is plausible but I remember some people saying that it's not as good within 3 days of the event. Maybe that is just BS though. All we can do is wait and see and it's going to be a long wait until the 00z run. If the 0Z GFS still shows what it showed at 12z and the other models that come out before the Euro remain steadfast then we should be okay.

Tried to post the CWG article but for some reason I can't copy it from the post link to a new thread.  Also,  everyone get a grip, the upper system is still in the Pacific.  Small variations are expected at these time ranges. 

if that's the case, then all the model runs to this point were a waste of time.  my point is that 72 hours, the forecasting reliability goes up a lot, so today's run are really important.  

Or the Euro is so good that other models are a waste of time?  This will be interesting to see.  If GFS follows suit, well...we will just depend on the "north trend".

if that's the case, then all the model runs to this point were a waste of time.  my point is that 72 hours, the forecasting reliability goes up a lot, so today's run are really important.  

No. The model runs up to this point are merely an indication of the bigger picture. The minutia will not, CANnot be sorted out until everything is properly sampled. And even then, accuracy is merely improved. Not guaranteed.

Like we went over that 20 pages ago.

Most modelers seem to say it doesn't change much of anything. I'm inclined to believe them but maybe there are cases. Given how data rich today's NWP is it seems it would be marginal change at most to begin with.

Most modelers seem to say it doesn't change much of anything. I'm inclined to believe them but maybe there are cases. Given how data rich today's NWP is it seems it would be marginal change at most to begin with.

Even if it does change things, the shortwave responsible is still offshore anyway. It's like 500 miles west of Oregon.

Speak for yourself, Randy. Seeing the same crushing run after run doesn't get old.

People were worried about the GFS with only 1.5" liquid to the SW yesterday.. now no one is worried about the Euro. lol.

Euro and gfs about 6 hours apart right now. I'd lean earlier. Roads prob start going downhill fast before noon.

I was hoping for a slow and graual build up during the day, so my relief could get me outta there at 4pm. Fingers now being crossed that the road crews pretreat and keep things moving until they can't keep up.

I'd start laying the ground work for a sudden cold now.  Tell your boss you have the chills, sniffles and sweats.

Lolz, not sure that'll fly since I just had the bug a couple weeks ago.

Went ahead and stopped at grocery store after my DDS appt this morning, so I'm stocked up on meal fixin's and TV freaking dinners in case I find myself holding down the damn work fort for 24+ hours... ( saying little prayer that I get to come home and enjoy the winter circus.)

People were worried about the GFS with only 1.5" liquid to the SW yesterday.. now no one is worried about the Euro. lol.

It certainly seems like a possibility, but history would say southern and central VA are not getting 30"+ from this storm. At least I don't recall it ever happening before. And we've seen late north trends so many times. The thing that is most troubling about the Euro is not getting much from the front end thump.

This is another great learning event.  We have mets on this board whose opinions differ.  I would say right now it is a wobble, maybe not in the direction we want it to go in...and Wes is not perturbed.   

Speak for yourself, Randy. Seeing the same crushing run after run doesn't get old.

Yes but for us in northern-central AA, both the GFS and EC solutions are win-win. Even with a more suppressed system, the hope is to get that typical bump in QPF east of 95 as the system deepens.

Archived