joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sick of mid Atlantic winters that I may make the Canaan Valley West Virginia my home base and just live vicariously thru there.

Its only a 4 hour drive for me (2 hours for DC).

They get on average 180 inches of snow a year and hotels are only $95 a night. I am about ready to end hoping for snow here and will just go there a few times per winter.

Problem solved.

its funny to read pattern disco in other subs.  We debbie here and others are seeing unicorns and rainbows in the next couple weeks.

I think it's important folks remain positive. It's the only way we'll get a storm and get through all this. 

In the "Things I Learned Today" category -- dogs can have fluctuating sized blood platelets. But be sure to get your dog checked BEFORE he is set to have surgery, otherwise you may get the same call I got yesterday saying "well, if we were to open him up right now, he would bleed out all over our table".  

Phew. 

JB2 keeps deleting my comments to his posts. He keeps giving his readers false hope and makes it sound like we are getting some major storm tonight lol. This time last week I argued with him that this past weekend would be rain and I was right. Finally like 2 days before he makes a posts defending why he waited to say it would be all rain. I know why, its so he can get hits on his website. A rain headline willl not get you many clicks, but if you just say "storm" and give an illusion that snow is still possibility then more people will click on your article.

Got this from my wife while I was at work. Don't gave to wonder if my 14 month old son will like snow.

Lisa:OMG it's snowing!!!!

Me:See if Stephen reacts

Lisa:He's the reason I knew it was snowing

Lisa:I'm so busy working on the computer. He was banging on the window all excited

Then I get a video of him pointing at the snow and jumping up and down. Of course I knew Lisa was the one when she wanted to go to ct to he stuck in the blizzard in 2013 with me.

In the "Things I Learned Today" category -- dogs can have fluctuating sized blood platelets. But be sure to get your dog checked BEFORE he is set to have surgery, otherwise you may get the same call I got yesterday saying "well, if we were to open him up right now, he would bleed out all over our table".  

Phew. 

good to know actually.  i hope all will be well.  i have a dog and we have been through quite a bit.  

Maybe it's just me, but ...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ706 PM EST TUE JAN 12 2016...A ***DANGEROUS*** SNOW SQUALL MOVING INTO THE DELAWARE VALLEY...(my annotation)* AT 657 PM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SNOW SQUALL...ALONG A  LINE EXTENDING FROM MILLRIFT TO WESTTOWN TO NEAR FALLSTON MOVING  EAST AT 40 MPH. THROUGH THE 8 PM THE SNOW SQUALL WILL MOVE INTO  THE DELAWARE VALLEY INCLUDING PHILADELPHIA...TRENTON...AND  WILMINGTON.* VISIBILITIES NEAR ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES WILL BE POSSIBLE.* NEW SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE. THIS  WILL LIKELY FALL IN LESS THAN ONE HOUR.<snip>USE EXTRA CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS DANGEROUSSNOW SQUALL. RAPID CHANGES IN VISIBILITY AND POTENTIALLY SLICK ROADSCOULD LEAD TO ACCIDENTS. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE SQUALLPASSES YOUR LOCATION.A RAPID DROP IN TEMPERATURES WILL LEAD TO THE RAPID FORMATION OFBLACK ICE ON AREA ROADWAYS. BLACK ICE IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SEEAND ROADWAYS MAY APPEAR WET. PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION...ESPECIALLYON BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND AROUND CURVES. ALLOW PLENTY OF STOPPINGDISTANCE AND AVOID BRAKING SUDDENLY.

This is not "dangerous." The adjective "dangerous" is warranted in, say, situations like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_emergency#Text_of_the_Moore_Tornado_Emergency_from_May_20.2C_2013

But not with a snow squall.

The weather itself is not dangerous. This is rhetorical overkill.

good to know actually. i hope all will be well. i have a dog and we have been through quite a bit.

Should be good now, as long as surgery goes well tomorrow. Third one since July for our puggle. Seems his knees had enough and he tore both acls. After the second repair, a fluid filled mass formed inside, on the sutures. So the vet will be going in to remove it. But the blood thing was kind of a shock...thankfully there is no issue, and as our vet said, our dog is just special .

Hope your dog is okay too

Should be good now, as long as surgery goes well tomorrow. Third one since July for our puggle. Seems his knees had enough and he tore both acls. After the second repair, a fluid filled mass formed inside, on the sutures. So the vet will be going in to remove it. But the blood thing was kind of a shock...thankfully there is no issue, and as our vet said, our dog is just special .

Good luck tomorrow...let us know how it goes.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
706 PM EST TUE JAN 12 2016

...A ***DANGEROUS*** SNOW SQUALL MOVING INTO THE DELAWARE VALLEY...

(my annotation)

* AT 657 PM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SNOW SQUALL...ALONG A
  LINE EXTENDING FROM MILLRIFT TO WESTTOWN TO NEAR FALLSTON MOVING
  EAST AT 40 MPH. THROUGH THE 8 PM THE SNOW SQUALL WILL MOVE INTO
  THE DELAWARE VALLEY INCLUDING PHILADELPHIA...TRENTON...AND
  WILMINGTON.

* VISIBILITIES NEAR ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES WILL BE POSSIBLE.

* NEW SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE. THIS
  WILL LIKELY FALL IN LESS THAN ONE HOUR.

<snip>

USE EXTRA CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS DANGEROUS
SNOW SQUALL. RAPID CHANGES IN VISIBILITY AND POTENTIALLY SLICK ROADS
COULD LEAD TO ACCIDENTS. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE SQUALL
PASSES YOUR LOCATION.A RAPID DROP IN TEMPERATURES WILL LEAD TO THE RAPID FORMATION OF
BLACK ICE ON AREA ROADWAYS. BLACK ICE IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE
AND ROADWAYS MAY APPEAR WET. PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION...ESPECIALLY
ON BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND AROUND CURVES. ALLOW PLENTY OF STOPPING
DISTANCE AND AVOID BRAKING SUDDENLY.
This is not "dangerous." The adjective "dangerous" is warranted in, say, situations like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_emergency#Text_of_the_Moore_Tornado_Emergency_from_May_20.2C_2013

They had the right idea but should have said "this snow squall will create dangerous (though hazardous is probably a better word) conditions" or something like that.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ706 PM EST TUE JAN 12 2016...A ***DANGEROUS*** SNOW SQUALL MOVING INTO THE DELAWARE VALLEY...(my annotation)* AT 657 PM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SNOW SQUALL...ALONG A  LINE EXTENDING FROM MILLRIFT TO WESTTOWN TO NEAR FALLSTON MOVING  EAST AT 40 MPH. THROUGH THE 8 PM THE SNOW SQUALL WILL MOVE INTO  THE DELAWARE VALLEY INCLUDING PHILADELPHIA...TRENTON...AND  WILMINGTON.* VISIBILITIES NEAR ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES WILL BE POSSIBLE.* NEW SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE. THIS  WILL LIKELY FALL IN LESS THAN ONE HOUR.<snip>USE EXTRA CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS DANGEROUSSNOW SQUALL. RAPID CHANGES IN VISIBILITY AND POTENTIALLY SLICK ROADSCOULD LEAD TO ACCIDENTS. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE SQUALLPASSES YOUR LOCATION.A RAPID DROP IN TEMPERATURES WILL LEAD TO THE RAPID FORMATION OFBLACK ICE ON AREA ROADWAYS. BLACK ICE IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SEEAND ROADWAYS MAY APPEAR WET. PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION...ESPECIALLYON BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND AROUND CURVES. ALLOW PLENTY OF STOPPINGDISTANCE AND AVOID BRAKING SUDDENLY.

I think they were excited about the snow. Their statements all seemed a bit over the top on this one.

having a sick pet sucks. Good luck tomorrow.

Archived