joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Obs and Daily Disco

H2O

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realized something... At my house, it is easier to get a warning criteria snowfall than a severe thunderstorm. I've had 7 snow events 5"+ since December 2013, and only 1 severe thunderstorm in the past two years.

The MA sucks.

Like I said a couple of weeks back: severe weenies in this area have to be even more delusional than snow weenies.

I just realized something... At my house, it is easier to get a warning criteria snowfall than a severe thunderstorm. I've had 7 snow events 5"+ since December 2013, and only 1 severe thunderstorm in the past two years.

The MA sucks.

I can only remember a handful of truly severe thunderstorms in my entire life. They are not very common around here and are usually isolated. I'm happy with just a good ole thunderstorm.

I can only remember a handful of truly severe thunderstorms in my entire life. They are not very common around here and are usually isolated. I'm happy with just a good ole thunderstorm.

Agreed. That's why I cringe a little bit at the discussion of thunderstorm events in the thread that always seems to be named "Severe storms somthingorother."

We're better at severe than we give ourselves credit for sometimes. Locally speaking, we've been on kind of a heater since 2012. The last several years remind me of 2002-2004..I was young but remember some big storms during those years.

Severe criteria met imby since I started keeping track in 2008.

- June 4, 2008: Big line of storms, strong SW winds, heavy rain.

- July 25th, 2010: Strongest winds I've observed to date, no power for 5 days, lots of tree damage and minor roof damage. Old oaks and tulip poplars snapped off and uprooted.

- June 29, 2012: Derecho, heavy, loud winds. Some old oak trees snapped off 10-15ft up.

- September 8th, 2012: Stronger than the Derecho locally, snapped a pine and an elm in my neighbors yard.

- July 15th, 2014: Microburst, strong winds and small hail. Lots of tree damage locally.

- August 31, 2014: Downburst in a squall line, took down multiple tulip poplars. Stronger than the July 2014 storm, but less tree damage, probably Darwinism at work.

We're better at severe than we give ourselves credit for sometimes. Locally speaking, we've been on kind of a heater since 2012. The last several years remind me of 2002-2004..I was young but remember some big storms during those years.

- July 25th, 2010: Strongest winds I've observed to date, no power for 5 days, lots of tree damage and minor roof damage. Old oaks and tulip poplars snapped off and uprooted.

- June 29, 2012: Derecho, heavy, loud winds. Some old oak trees snapped off 10-15ft up.

- September 8th, 2012: Stronger than the Derecho locally, snapped a pine and an elm in my neighbors yard.

- July 15th, 2014: Microburst, strong winds and small hail. Lots of tree damage locally.

- August 31, 2014: Downburst in a squall line, took down multiple tulip poplars. Stronger than the July 2014 storm, but less tree damage, probably Darwinism at work.

I was out of town for that July 2010 storm -- hiking in the Colorado Rockies after a business trip, so I don't regret it at all -- but my wife said the winds here (Tenleytown) might have been as strong as the derecho's, as well.

Didn't you use to live around American University?

Half of these were so localized that they are forgettable for more than half the region. In any given location, there's no reason to expect true severe storm criteria every single year. 

Half of these were so localized that they are forgettable for more than half the region. In any given location, there's no reason to expect true severe storm criteria every single year.

My neighborhood has only hit true severe 4 times since I moved here in 03. My yard only twice. But 8k in house damage and 3k in tree damage is more than enough. The only acceptable event going forward is a roof collapse from 3' of snow followed up by a foot of ice.

The MA sucks.

This is why I've always been more interested in snow than severe.  Snow is a better bet.

Heck of a easterly fetch set up for Saturday. Forget the 90s.

Ugh. The worst. 

NAM has 73 as the high before the rain moves in at 2pm

GFS doesn't even get me out of the 60s with rain all day

Perfect day for family to come over to celebrate my birthday :axe:

Ugh. The worst.

NAM has 73 as the high before the rain moves in at 2pm

GFS doesn't even get me out of the 60s with rain all day

Perfect day for family to come over to celebrate my birthday :axe:

Well that sucks! Postpone? Or is this a big one? ;)

Time to start tracking July 4th temps. Early indications are no heat wave. 80's. July 1-3rd looking decent temp wise but we could always get stuck with a boundary draped overhead. All in all, the pattern going forward doesn't look anything like the persistence we seem to be moving away from. I wouldn't mind a stretch with no 90's (except for dca of course. The can hit 90 because a goose farts on the runway).

Archived