joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Obs and Daily Disco

H2O

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.14" here in Oak Hill yesterday/last night.  Gusted to 25 mph on my newly mounted anemometer, which isn't too shabby for a housing development with semi-mature trees.  I can only imagine what it would've gusted to on Thursday had I gotten it up before then.  Oh well.

4.56" for June so far.  All my new plantings are very happy with the generous rain, hope it continues.

Kill Devil Hills has been brutal. 96+ today and local temp says it was 94 at 7PM. West winds down here in summer are a biatch.

I know what you mean Mitch. I was down near Buxton/Hatteras area and anytime we had a west wind, temps in town were really high. I think the highest we registered was 94 in town. As soon as you got on the beach, it dropped to 90, but it was still hot. Thank goodness for cooler ocean waters to take a dip in.

I know what you mean Mitch. I was down near Buxton/Hatteras area and anytime we had a west wind, temps in town were really high. I think the highest we registered was 94 in town. As soon as you got on the beach, it dropped to 90, but it was still hot. Thank goodness for cooler ocean waters to take a dip in.

*cues Jaws music*

84/66...feels great outside.

The big question is whether we torch on the 4th

Starting to look like a wholesale pattern change coming up. Mean ridge axis stays out west for quite a while. Doesn't mean we can't roast of course. Just not as likely as it has been. Could be a cloudy/damp pattern. Hard to say. Not the easiest time of year for fronts/boundaries to push far enough south. Last year was ridiculous from July 4th onwards through the month. Pulling that off again would be an very unlikely feat.  

What is too cool up your way for swimming? 70s?

Yeah, I think 70s may be too cool to really enjoy the pool. However, will be a fantastic day to just be outside, if the rain holds off. So not all is lost. Just my luck, plan something months ago, and the weather decides to be a b**ch. 

Tropical forcing will be entering the WPAC next week, which should favor an Aleutian low/+PNA about 7-10 days from now. If this pans out, we probably get an ~ 2 week period of cooler weather/troughing beginning late next week.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm liking this call right now. I think we can sustain the +PNA for at least 10 days, maybe over 2 weeks, before the MJO/+EF dies and the ridge retrogrades into the GOA/NE-PAC in early/mid July. At that point, I think the trough backs into the plains and a SE ridge tries to develop once again, probably sometime in mid-July.

Starting to look like a wholesale pattern change coming up. Mean ridge axis stays out west for quite a while. Doesn't mean we can't roast of course. Just not as likely as it has been. Could be a cloudy/damp pattern. Hard to say. Not the easiest time of year for fronts/boundaries to push far enough south. Last year was ridiculous from July 4th onwards through the month. Pulling that off again would be an very unlikely feat.  

But sure would be sweet! :)

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
351 AM EDT TUE JUN 23 2015

DCZ001-MDZ011-013-014-016>018-504-506-508-VAZ052>057-231600-
/O.NEW.KLWX.HT.Y.0002.150623T1700Z-150623T2300Z/
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-
ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST MONTGOMERY-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-
SOUTHEAST HARFORD-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...BALTIMORE...BOWIE...
SUITLAND-SILVER HILL...CLINTON...COLLEGE PARK...GREENBELT...
LAUREL...CAMP SPRINGS...GLEN BURNIE...ANNAPOLIS...SEVERN...
SOUTH GATE...SEVERNA PARK...ARNOLD...ODENTON...ST. CHARLES...
WALDORF...LEXINGTON PARK...CALIFORNIA...CHESAPEAKE BEACH...
HUNTINGTOWN...DUNKIRK...NORTH BEACH...LUSBY...PRINCE FREDERICK...
BETHESDA...ROCKVILLE...GAITHERSBURG...SILVER SPRING...COLUMBIA...
ELLICOTT CITY...ABERDEEN...DALE CITY...MANASSAS...WOODBRIDGE...
LAKE RIDGE...MONTCLAIR...RESTON...HERNDON...ANNANDALE...
CENTREVILLE...CHANTILLY...MCLEAN...FRANCONIA...ARLINGTON...
ALEXANDRIA...FALMOUTH...FREDERICKSBURG...DAHLGREN
351 AM EDT TUE JUN 23 2015

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM EDT
THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO 7 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES...AROUND 105 DEGREES.

Archived