joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One idea is 100% certain: mother nature will surprise us. Enjoy the ride.

Pacific and Gulf tap plus arctic air and a strong baroclinic zone = chaos in the atmosphere. In the spring and summer this equals tornados! In March in the Middle Atlantic...will mean business for some.

Pacific and Gulf tap plus arctic air and a strong baroclinic zone = chaos in the atmosphere. In the spring and summer this equals tornados! In March in the Middle Atlantic...will mean business for some.

I'm interested to know your forecast

Well if it does bust it's the first batch will have to be rain because of the delayed cold-front and the second batch will have to have it's lift ruined by by the convection to our south.  I still think 3-5 area wide even if that happens. 

Now, here's what I want to know: What is it that the NAM and GFS are seeing (or think they're seeing) that could cut into our snow totals? Is it the incoming high pressure to the north? Can't see it being dry air with all the rain...Any informed opinions about this on here?

Its been posted a couple of times - it appears that the NAM and GFS are amping up the first wave more than the other models, which draws moisture from the second wave (someone can correct my terminology on this).  The second wave is our opportunity for large amounts of snow, therefore when the models amp up the first rather than the second, we end up with less snow on the ground.

Now, here's what I want to know: What is it that the NAM and GFS are seeing (or think they're seeing) that could cut into our snow totals? Is it the incoming high pressure to the north? Can't see it being dry air with all the rain...Any informed opinions about this on here?

My guess is that the GFS and NAM have delusions of grandeur and think that they are superior to other models. Reality may set in with the 0z run tonight as they cave.

It looks like the first wave is essentially wringing out the moisture that would have come from the second wave. What a bummer. That HRRR shows the NAM and GFS idea it looks like...... Sad how that much moisture that's over KY just can't make it over here.

It looks like the first wave is essentially wringing out the moisture that would have come from the second wave. What a bummer. That HRRR shows the NAM and GFS idea it looks like...... Sad how that much moisture that's over KY just can't make it over here.[/quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That's quality weenie right there. Pure, uncut,

Weenie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second wave will have plenty of moisture to tap. Tapping from two oceans and a constant fetch. We are not dealing with a coastal low situation. We have enough moisture to build a rain forest.

The issue is the dense cold dry airmass that comes in and west to northwest flow is a down sloping flow...dry slotting or sharp gradients in precip. I think the nam and gfs are seeing this. PLUS...bands are very difficult to pinpoint even a few hours out let alone days!

We are likely to see intense narrow bands that dump very heavy rates in spots while steady light to moderate snow falls everywhere. Where those bands setup...only God knows!

It looks like the first wave is essentially wringing out the moisture that would have come from the second wave. What a bummer. That HRRR shows the NAM and GFS idea it looks like...... Sad how that much moisture that's over KY just can't make it over here.

Exactly... But who knows we might pull off a miracle

Archived