joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the total precip from 12z-0z is around 0.7-0.8 eyeballing the IWM.  

we're not snow on this run until 15z, and even then it is borderline...I don't buy it, but there might be a warm/wet trade off of sorts...it's not even that cold at the surface until late afternoon...My guess is it is too warm...It has been handling the thermal profiles of this storm absolutely wretchedly...putting insanely warm noses where other models don't have them,...

we're not snow on this run until 15z, and even then it is borderline...I don't buy it, but there might be a warm/wet trade off of sorts...it's not even that cold at the surface until late afternoon...My guess is it is too warm...It has been handling the thermal profiles of this storm absolutely wretchedly...putting insanely warm noses where other models don't have them,...

Wondering about that myself.  What is your opinion on how it's now depicting the moisture and precip fields?  Coming around to something more realistic...or just an artifact of its thermal profiles?  I mean...the Euro had similar (?) precip but it was far better on the thermals for us.  Not sure if this makes sense how I posed those questions.

We can hope, I'm just happy to see it move towards the EURO on QPF.

Looking at 700 between the Euro and NAM, NAM is ever so slightly warmer than 12z Euro at 12z tomorrow.  We were just below at 700 on the Euro and just above on the NAM.  Interesting to see what the 4km NAM does.  

I don't know enough about the levels of the atmosphere but according to terpweather on twittter, using mesoanalysis from SPC, the 700mb level is at zero or just below 0c at the moment from DC north... +2 to the south of DC.

So I am confused as to why NAM would have it slightly above zero in 12/15 HRs, unless it warms slightly in the coming hours.

Archived