joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what drying trend? The euro came in wet?

You have two very skilled globals advertising a wet solution. If they hold serve tonight, it will be interesting.

The Oracle has spoken:

THERE IS STILL THE LIKELIHOOD THAT 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE

COMMON FROM WASHINGTON DC TO NEW YORK CITY ALTHOUGH THERE ARE

ISSUES ON THE NORTH END OF LOWER TOTALS AND ON THE SOUTHERN END

WITH CHANGEOVER TIMES.  WHILE THE 12Z NAM/GFS BOTH INDICATED A

POSSIBLE SOUTHWARD SHIFT IN THE QPF AREA...LATER FORECASTS BY THE

18Z NAM/12Z UKMET...CANADIAN AND ECMWF ALL HAD FARTHER NORTH

SOLUTIONS SUGGESTING THAT THE FEWER CHANGES TO PREVIOUS

FORECASTS...THE BETTER.

KOCIN

On the GFS, how much of that first hit from 1am-7am is snow/sleet/rain? It looks really close for the area. Might be the key to amounts.

The thing is, I think there's gonna be some N-S uniformity with the duration of frozen pcpn. If DCA switches over prior to 12Z...yay...but that probably means were done earlier as well (boo). Hard to picture more that 6-8 hours of good snow rates with this setup.

A lot more snow on the 18z GFS up north. Lends credence to psuhoffman's theory that the first wave is being amped up more and stealing the show from the second. 

GFS and NAM are alone now in how they have the second wave falling apart, and they are also both by far the most ambitious with the first tonight.  Obviously a correlation there.  I think with the RGEM joining the GGEM/UKMET/Euro/SREF camp that the GFS/NAM are having some kind of issue resolving how the two waves and the baroclinic zone will interact.  At least I hope they are because the 2 wave idea on the GFS/NAM is a very dangerous one for our area if we get stuck between the two. 

You're a human pendulum.  

Agreed. I would not discount the GFS at all!

Nobody is really discounting anything.  This is a tough setup to predict.  More cold air could mean better ratios at the end so who knows.  Almost time to nowcast and forget the models.  The actual results of this are likely to surprise all of us both good and bad. 

Good job of keeping everyone grounded Ji.....right after you posted that the storm was dying a slow death.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel pretty good about having the Euro in our camp.

if everything was reversed wrt the models, I could appreciate the angst, but it's not the other way around

I am telling you its like .5 inch QPF over a 12 hour period... that just not gonna do the trick in March.

FFS with the March argument!!  I got 3" snow last year on March 25 during the day on much less than 0.5" liquid equivalent.  It even stuck to the pavement more than I expected, and there was a lull at one point.  That's fully three weeks beyond when this current event is to occur.  Oh, and it was also warmer than this event will be while the snow is falling.

Sorry for the rant, but the "won't do it during the day in March" stuff has gotten a tad annoying.

RGEM looks good, NAM was roughly in line with other guidance.  The 4k NAM came in dry.

"With the exception of the 00z run of the Euro last night, the GGEM, Euro, and GFS underpredicted the snow around here, with the GGEM performing the best.  The 12z run of the GGEM yesterday is looking pretty good.  I don't have Ukie snow maps so I'm not sure how it did -- it was the wettest of the top four global models, which means it probably did pretty well. High-res RGEM was way too wet and continuously adjusted totals down until it got something reasonable.  But it doesn't look as crazy today as it did yesterday."      this was your comment on the 21st Feb.  it was that 00z run of the Euro that I was convinced it would be a great event.  May give us clues to which model has a better chance of verifying.

basically models have locked into a significant snowfall.  the question is how significant.

it's snowing in louisville, cincinnati, and pittsburgh right now.

already getting a northerly component to the wind here, so we've reached our max i guess.  slow descent from here.  probably no reason to pull an all nighter, which is good.  wake up and it starts to snow.

Nobody is really discounting anything. This is a tough setup to predict. More cold air could mean better ratios at the end so who knows. Almost time to nowcast and forget the models. The actual results of this are likely to surprise all of us both good and bad.

One idea is 100% certain: mother nature will surprise us. Enjoy the ride.

Archived