• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
snowfan

Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

After the second shovel. Took a pic of my supervisor. Hard to see in low light but some sweet 2-3' manicured piles along the driveway. Snow to the rockers on the cars parked in the street. What an excellent day and storm.

post-2035-0-03832900-1424560224_thumb.jp

these were based on 10:1 and we ended up with probably 12/13:1 in DC.  I'm guessing around 0.30" QPF before flip.  The NAM did well with QPF and flip time, but was absolutely atrocious with start time.  For DC, I'd probably give the award to the UKMET.  My flip time was an estimate and it is entirely possible it had the flip earlier. Got the start time close to right, heaviest precip after 18z, and the QPF very nicely...GGEM gets the bust reward...2 awful efforts in a row.  Good winter for the UKIE....

0z NAM - flip time - 6pm, Snow - 3"
0z GFS - flip time - 6:30 pm, Snow - 5.5"
0z GGEM - flip time - 9pm - Snow - 6.5"
0z UKMET - flip time - 7pm - Snow - 3.5"
0z 4kNAM - flip time - 6pm - Snow - 2"
0z RGEM - flip time - 7pm - Snow - 5.5"
0z Euro - flip time - 7pm - Snow - 5"

I knew it was incredible, just didn't think it was this! at 6 pm I had 2.5 inches of 90/10 sleet/snow on the snowboard (which was on top the snow, so it is correct, no 'fill-in')  since4pm when I cleaned due to change. That makes 10.0 inches of snow/sleet here, I have 14.5 on the ground, started the day at 6.0 so the sleet has packed it down some. Back to a lighter snow/sleet, 30/70 mix. Strangely it became more snow when it let up this time? Temp is 23.5/DP 22.2.

Near Annandale it started snowing at 10:35 and continued until 5:10 when sleet took over. I've measured 3.7" snow.

After the second shovel. Took a pic of my supervisor. Hard to see in low light but some sweet 2-3' manicured piles along the driveway. Snow to the rockers on the cars parked in the street. What an excellent day and storm.

cooper.JPG

Love your supervisor. Hope he/she wasn't too hard on you.

attachicon.gifcooper.JPG

LOL. He doesnt look real happy about the snow.

Love your supervisor. Hope he/she wasn't too hard on you.

He's a perfect 10 mutt. I don't even need a leash. Loves everyone and everything and never disobeys. Makes a lot of yellow snow though. I cover it back up to keep my pack pristine. Snow is serious stuff. 

Reports of people flipping from sleet back to heavy snow have me hopeful, but I'm not sure why. Pretty clear the sleet line raced up 95 and isn't turning back. Real pumped with the snowfall we got, but was hoping we could stay snow longer, especially looking at what's still on the radar. Easily could have topped a foot.

Amazing you are between me and Trix and you have around half of our totals. I am back over to all snow by the way.

those bands were pretty strictly oriented out here.

I have smaller snowflakes again which makes me hope I'll hold onto snow for a while longer. i had some big flakes fall for a while last hour--wonder if I can finish in double digits?