• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WX Fan
    Newest Member
    WX Fan
snowfan

Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

I saw a report of only 4" earlier today in Inwood when I was at 7". That area missed out on most of the heavier banding earlier.

I went out and took several measurements to try and get a more accurate total.

5" is the best I can come up with.

I didn't forecast, but the snow algorithms I casually looked had from GFS and RGEM were all pretty bullish for DC and esp NW. Were there models that sucked or a sneaky warm layer on any of the soundings? Seems like some are surprised...just curious.

Nam was way too far north with the precip. Euro was dry compared to the GFS. Ukie was on it the earliest....RGEM nailed it short term.

Back to all sleet and maybe some freezing rain.  I've got about 3-4" of compacted concrete out there, which hopefully will be difficult to melt and can last til our next snowstorm.

HRRRRRR keeps precip going until nearly 11z in the cities and longer S/E.  Hope it ends sooner then that.

Yea, feels weird rooting for the back edge shut down but time to close the door. 

7:00PM Flurries. 27 degrees. 9.2 inches. .8 over the past 2 hours. I am in a dry slot right now with just some flurries. I hope that slug to the SW comes through as snow. I would love to get to double digits with this storm.

Isn't the western edge out in western WV supposed to dry out as it moves east? Could be totally wrong though.

You were in a jackpot zone of sorts. I battled sleet for a while but I'm still getting some accumulation albeit very light. I'll probably get to 5.5" after the last hour of mod snow (big flakes) and sleet. 

Heaviest hour for me I think was 1.3

i've been getting lucky with bands since last year. That will change. No doubt about it. I'm used to being on the outside looking in. 

I think it's because I speak highly of the gfs.