joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles clearly west of the OP. Looks like they are all clustered barely off OC and then heading up toward the Cape. I'm guessing that gets us into better banding FWIW. Hopefully the NAM comes around tonight.

I'm a Euro fan but it has been far from perfect this winter. It's showed the monster storms but has been too amped up with some of them, showing snow further west into NE, NJ, and NY than we end up seeing, and it also has shown more snow than Boston has received in some of the storms too.

Little off-topic, but nice new avatar there, Bob! But the western edge of that precip shield is looking kinda anemic! :P

Is that from a particular storm...this one?

There's already 4" on the ground from the previous panel. 12z euro. lol.

With the euro having the .20 contour all the way in the northern PA, I'm really not worried about the nam being a good bit drier. We have some good guidance on our side and the lead is pretty short. I'd say 4-6" for dc metro is pretty locked with possible upside.

New snow maps been give from WPC

4"

attachicon.gif2-15-15afternoonsnow4in.gif

8"

attachicon.gif2-15-15afternoonsnow8in.gif

12"

attachicon.gif2-15-15afternoonsnow12in.gif

Wow, that's pretty bullish for them!  I would never have even expected there to be even a "low" probability of 12" here...let alone moderate probability for 8"+.

With the euro having the .20 contour all the way in the northern PA, I'm really not worried about the nam being a good bit drier. We have some good guidance on our side and the lead is pretty short. I'd say 4-6" for dc metro is pretty locked with possible upside.

I wouldn't worry though the NAM usually models edges well comparatively .. If it's right at this pt which I wouldn't bet on.

Agree.  I was just ribbin' you a bit with the new pic you have now!  So it's from the 12Z Euro...secret's out! ;)   I think a good, solid moderate event should be on tap for everyone, and as you say, possibility of an upside here.

The argument can be made that the NAM may still be too far south with it's Low trajectory by the 1024 H sitting off the south east coast. Not only should that feature act to push thugs farther north, it will aid in the dynamics of systems at the surface (deeper low further north west). UKMET, EURO & EURO ensembles seem to be picking up on this which could be the reason for the further north precip sheild. Haven't seen the RGEM since 18z yesterday but I thought it picked up on this very well.

Finally, looks like SOMD is going to cash in if these model runs actually pan out. Please snow gods make this happen and let us get a thumping.

My question, does the really cold temperatures effect the snowflakes in a way that it would take more snow to add up to an inch as opposed to warmer temps and the snow flakes being big and heavy and wet and piling up quicker.

Was away all morning and come back to a real storm on the models. Looks like a legit 4-10 for everyone. Good times are coming tomorrow night. I have to say the SREFS and especially the Ukie really locked onto the northern solution and didnt let it go. May have to pay more attention to the Ukie from now on.

Euro ensembles clearly west of the OP. Looks like they are all clustered barely off OC and then heading up toward the Cape. I'm guessing that gets us into better banding FWIW. Hopefully the NAM comes around tonight.

I'm a Euro fan but it has been far from perfect this winter. It's showed the monster storms but has been too amped up with some of them, showing snow further west into NE, NJ, and NY than we end up seeing, and it also has shown more snow than Boston has received in some of the storms too.

Everything trending to the further west solution and up the coast

Finally, looks like SOMD is going to cash in if these model runs actually pan out. Please snow gods make this happen and let us get a thumping.

My question, does the really cold temperatures effect the snowflakes in a way that it would take more snow to add up to an inch as opposed to warmer temps and the snow flakes being big and heavy and wet and piling up quicker.

I dont know how technical you want to get. Or how much you want to learn. But this should help.

https://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/publist/rpp5_4_R03.pdf

Archived