joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the explanation

Anytime.

The intended user of these products are gov decision makers but They have to be added to the main webpage. They can be useful to anyone if they can understand the intended goal which is to establish a minimum scenario, most likely and max or worst case.

didn't the march storm in question last year have an arctic hip pushing against the northern edge? A changeover event with rain early in the cities?

Everyone except DCA started as snow.... but it took a ton of time to accumulate. I got 9.5" out of it and I was curious what the liquid totals were, as the ratios may be somewhat similar.

didn't the march storm in question last year have an arctic hip pushing against the northern edge? A changeover event with rain early in the cities?

3/3/14 absolutely did. I don't see many comparisons to tomorrow's system. The early March storm saw a fresh delivery of arctic air which pressed down and dried out the upper levels for areas up this way. It was also an incredibly cold airmass for early March. The precip mass literally sunk south of here then put on the breaks south of Baltimore where those areas continued to precipitate.

3/3/14 absolutely did. I don't see many comparisons to tomorrow's system. The early March storm saw a fresh delivery of arctic air which pressed down and dried out the upper levels for areas up this way. It was also an incredibly cold airmass for early March. The precip mass literally sunk south of here then put on the breaks south of Baltimore where those areas continued to precipitate.

Definitely not a good comparison. The hp to the n tomorrow is almost low pressure.

Definitely not a good comparison. The hp to the n tomorrow is almost low pressure.

Yeah, other than a similarly-appearing sharp gradient, the set-up is quite different here than the Mar. 2-3 event last year.  Plus, yeah, we started as rain here closer in to DC.  If it weren't for that great band near the end, it might have been a bust at least in some areas.  I recall LWX being very bullish on that event the night it started.  Woke up the early morning of the 3rd and barely had a couple of crusty inches by that point.  In the end, I got 5.3" out of it, cold powder for the most part...it was in the low-mid 20s throughout the day of the 3rd, pretty remarkable for March.

Someone else mentioned it, but I am curious how this upcoming event compares to the St. Pat's storm last year.  That one started right off as snow and never looked back.

Time to throw my hat into the ring... decided to be aggressive with totals:

attachicon.gif20150216-17_MAsnow_initial.png

itshappening.gif

Discussion of concerns/risks, in case anyone cares. Pretty much all of it has already been covered in this thread: http://bit.ly/1Jj6D9U

Nice map. An area wide 4-8 is just what the doctor ordered for our area. 

4" of powder with subfreezing temps all week.  I'll take that in a second.  Of course, 6" would be better....

This.  I think a week or 2 ago when we were all wallowing in self-pity, if we had been offered a sequence of 2-3" "storm", epic cold, 4-6" storm, more epic cold in a span of just a couple days, we'd have taken it in a heartbeat.  I know I would have.

The fact that there's a chance we might be able to do even better than 6" on this one is just extra icing on a delicious cake.

0z is going to be the last useful run of the globals. I really don't expect many changes at this point. At least not in the dc metro/burbs. Short range guidance takes over in the morning. I expect a freak run of the hrrr tomorrow afternoon destroying us followed by another that cuts totals in half. lol.

Archived