• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

0z is going to be the last useful run of the globals. I really don't expect many changes at this point. At least not in the dc metro/burbs. Short range guidance takes over in the morning. I expect a freak run of the hrrr tomorrow afternoon destroying us followed by another that cuts totals in half. lol.

I think you're correct, but I could see a bump north with precip.

Tennessee is interesting to me, probably because my sister lives in Knoxville. The outlook down there certainly has gone downhill in the past couple of days

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because that's not a composite... just an individual 88D. And it's still probably going to show more precip, because the 1km simulated reflectivity is just that... a static height of 1km. Actual radar sees reflectivities higher up as you get farther away, which would naturally show more precip than the 1km reflectivity.

A better way would be to find a simulated composite reflectivity, like the one the HRRR has.

That's because that's not a composite... just an individual 88D. And it's still probably going to show more precip, because the 1km simulated reflectivity is just that... a static height of 1km. Actual radar sees reflectivities higher up as you get farther away, which would naturally show more precip than the 1km reflectivity.

A better way would be to find a simulated composite reflectivity, like the one the HRRR has.

can you at least agree there is way more precip in LA than the NAM modeled?

I think you're correct, but I could see a bump north with precip.

Tennessee is interesting to me, probably because my sister lives in Knoxville. The outlook down there certainly has gone downhill in the past couple of days

If I lived in TN I would not be happy right now.

We could easily see a bump north but as far as my yard goes, .50 give or take a tenth in either direction seems about it. I don't expect less than .40 or more than .60 right now. Duration of meaningful precip won't be more than 12 hours. Expanse to the north is a wildcard but I'll let the northern folks hash that out.

I'd be pretty surprised if the DC area ends up with a widespread .75.

Just finished catching up on the day's model runs (we were out at a winery near Leesburg).  Pretty good agreement for a 0.5" QPF storm for Arl/Alex/DC, with the Euro being the wet outlier.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a tick north at 00z but I don't expect any large movements either way.  I'd go with 5-7" for Arl/Alex/DC right now.   :sled:

Matt is rubbing off on you :).

Nah, their gain is my gain. Doesn't usually work like that. If I had to guess I would think n md gets .40 in general with some of the ridges doing better.

We're all getting snow and by far the best event of the year in both totals and expanse. To think we are only discussing temps as an afterthought is pretty cool. Rare type of storm on many levels.

Nah, their gain is my gain. Doesn't usually work like that. If I had to guess I would think n md gets .40 in general with some of the ridges doing better.

We're all getting snow and by far the best event of the year in both totals and expanse. To think we are only discussing temps as an afterthought is pretty cool. Rare type of storm on many levels.

Exactly you are in the perfect spot for this one. For one of the first times in a long time a north bump would help you. Enjoy, you sure deserve it after your hundreds of hours of bleeding eyes over the past week. If i get .40 i would be happy, 6" with possibly 7 would be awesome.

Amen.  It's been a rough year; let's enjoy this and have some fun.

can you at least agree there is way more precip in LA than the NAM modeled?

I honestly couldn't give a crap when the event's still 18+ hours out. Unless someone can tell me EXACTLY how the radar now compared to the model forecast is going to have a notable positive/negative impact on our area, it's worthless.

00Z runs will bring .5 to md line. Book it. That will cause RIC to really start worrying about sleet.

Uh-huh. And you have actual reasoning to back this up? I mean, I know your gut is what the NWS consults before kicking off the 0z runs, but I was wondering if there was actual science involved in your post or if you were just a dick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived