joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Useless products. I have a 24% chance of 0". No chance, zero, of 0.1-2", and a 19% chance of 8-12". I have a math degree and couldn't explain those numbers if I had a year to work on it. I don't know why this stuff is posted.

Boom

Useless products. I have a 24% chance of 0". No chance, zero, of 0.1-2", and a 19% chance of 8-12". I have a math degree and couldn't explain those numbers if I had a year to work on it. I don't know why this stuff is posted.

I can see how it would be a bit confusing. The table is more of a communication tool for DOT's, County level EM's and others deploying resources. All of the numbers are pulled directly from the min/max/most likely and accumulation threshold graphics.

March last year should have proved we can get fringed up here. Yes it's going to snow but I could see northern Maryland only getting 3-4" while va gets 6-10

You get fringed badly when dc gets fringed. DC won't get 9 inches and you three. Not happening. You know this dude. Models always struggle with the northern QPF extent around here.

What is your location?

It's posted under my screen name. You must be on the phone like me. Frederick co, va....5 miles north of Winchester. In case you're wondering, I was referring to the table posted at the bottom of the page. It says "experimental product". I think it needs more tweaking...:)

If you look at the total snowfall forecast from the 18Z GFS, the areas of 6"+ totals moved slightly north (compared to 12Z). Very slight difference. Not sure where the talk about south trends is coming from. Looks to be about the same or slightly north to me.

It seemed like the overnight 0.25-0.50 qpf areas were mostly DC and points S and E.

I can see how it would be a bit confusing. The table is more of a communication tool for DOT's, County level EM's and others deploying resources. All of the numbers are pulled directly from the min/max/most likely and accumulation threshold graphics.

Probably not for this thread, but how can it be reasonable to assess probabilities like that? Maybe we can discuss it later on.

You get fringed badly when dc gets fringed. DC won't get 9 inches and you three. Not happening. You know this dude. Models always struggle with the northern QPF extent around here.

usually but this year I feel like find the way it could go wrong and that's what will happen. Logically being near the northern edge of good of at 36 hours is perfect. But my gut says don't get excited it will scree you over again.

usually but this year I feel like find the way it could go wrong and that's what will happen. Logically being near the northern edge of good of at 36 hours is perfect. But my gut says don't get excited it will scree you over again.

It hasn't really snowed yet this year and now its gonna...i don't see how anything that's happened this year can be applied to this event...this is the first of its kind for us this year

Time to throw my hat into the ring... decided to be aggressive with totals:

attachicon.gif20150216-17_MAsnow_initial.png

itshappening.gif

Discussion of concerns/risks, in case anyone cares. Pretty much all of it has already been covered in this thread: http://bit.ly/1Jj6D9U

I think that's a good forecast. You don't know how good it feels not to be in or near your gray area.     lol

Yes and historically when we see such an expanse of precip the heavier bands end up north. The real fringe screw jobs are when DC itself is in the northern edge. Not the case here. Watch PHL; I bet they still end up getting nailed in the end.

Text output for everyone north of Baltimore is almost exactly the same as 12Z. Really no cause for concern. Still 24 hours away form snow starting. Like you always say I will roll the dice being up here everytime. If we fall short then so be it. I'm pretty confident there will be accumulating snow for everyone north of the beltway.

It's posted under my screen name. You must be on the phone like me. Frederick co, va....5 miles north of Winchester. In case you're wondering, I was referring to the table posted at the bottom of the page. It says "experimental product". I think it needs more tweaking...:)

Got it. It's pulling the numbers directly from the products above. Designed to run automatically from the graphics. I would not focus so much on the numbers but the trends...ie...each time they are updated with new data...are the trends for higher amounts going up or down. The product is made with the decision maker in mind. For example, some county governments open an EOC at 4 inches, others 6 or 8 inches. High impact to move heavy equipment is 18 inches for some county seats. They look at the trends in the numbers over a 24-48 hour period to see where our confidence is going. If you were a transportation or EM official in Winchester you would interpret the day as... Highest confidence of 4-8...deploy such and such resource....but there is potential it could be worse...8-12+ if worse scenario pans out. There are other internal coordination going on behind the scenes.

Got it. It's pulling the numbers directly from the products above. Designed to run automatically from the graphics. I would not focus so much on the numbers but the trends...ie...each time they are updated with new data...are the trends for higher amounts going up or down. The product is made with the decision maker in mind. For example, some county governments open an EOC at 4 inches, others 6 or 8 inches. High impact to move heavy equipment is 18 inches for some county seats. They look at the trends in the numbers are a 24-48 he period to see where our confidence is going. If you were a transportation or EM official in Winchester you would interpret the day as... Highest confidence of 4-8...deploy such and such resource....but there is potential it could be worse...8-12+ if worse scenario pans out. There are other internal coordination a going on behind the scenes.

Thank you for the explanation

Archived