Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like RIC is gonna finally get one! 

That would be great for them...it's been a drought of sorts for many winters.  Having worked at AKQ for several years, it's been my experience that even when the QPF was there...and we were cold enough (i.e. entire sounding below 0C)...there was still something missing that lead to higher amounts north of I-64. I think of the Jan 30 (31st) 2010 case -- the powdery 6" event up here in the DC area before snowmageddon.  Granted, central VA made out well in that event, but it still seemed like the higher amounts were north of RIC, even though the QPF wasn't as high. It really comes down to those ratios (thus snowfall rates)...the soundings...again while entirely below 0C throughout the column, are not as optimal as (say) EZF and points north -- in terms of that deep moisture/lift within the -10 to -15C layer. 

As much as I'd love to hug the Euro / Ukie, it's hard to ignore the NAM / GFS / RGEM / GGEM.  As of the 00z runs, I'm guessing about 4-6" IMBY.  I'm hoping Boston remembers to turn on their snow magnet and bring back something like the 00z Ukie run.

As much as I'd love to hug the Euro / Ukie, it's hard to ignore the NAM / GFS / RGEM / GGEM.  As of the 00z runs, I'm guessing about 4-6" IMBY.  I'm hoping Boston remembers to turn on their snow magnet and bring back something like the 00z Ukie run.

That is without ratios. I am confident unless a major shift happens at the last minute you will get 6"+.

That is without ratios. I am confident unless a major shift happens at the last minute you will get 6"+.

I assumed about 15:1 ratios with that estimate.  It looks like the Euro and Ukie have me at (or slightly above) 0.5".  Everything else has me under 0.3". 

If history is any indication, Sterling NWS is about to hug the Ukie/Euro combo.  The HPC likes it and I assume NWS will too.

Can you please just give total map. Not hourly? Thanks.

Your not interested in seeing which time frame the heavier snow will fall? I know one of the things I like with this hobby is to try and understand the timing of the storm.... Like what falls during specific time frames. Aren't you interested I that?

Archived