Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wes always talks about good dendrite formation.

Can any of you that understand, post a model sounding

so we can see about getting into the cotton candy?

Its gonna snow dude lol. If you want to learn about dendritic snow growth, Google.. snow microphysics. Its a bit complex but interesting.

In Tennessee

Wouldn't be surprised to see precip max fill in east of Apps. Right now this feels like it might stripe someone with 12-15 or so.. Models are actually pretty wet already and may tick up a smidge.

Wouldn't be surprised to see precip max fill in east of Apps. Right now this feels like it might stripe someone with 12-15 or so.. Models are actually pretty wet already and may tick up a smidge.

Agreed. I like seeing that 1-1.1" QPF targeting West Virginia, and this is solid mass of heavy precip moving into a great cold dome we have here. Whoever gets that 12-15 will be a lucky group.

Its gonna snow dude lol. If you want to learn about dendritic snow growth, Google.. snow microphysics. Its a bit complex but interesting.

850 mb

The Mid-Atlantic sub-forum is rocking today.   Thanks, folks.

Open up the link below!!!   Good stuff, lot of us may cash in on dendrite muthaload.

This PPT: gives the goodies and not at all difficult to understand.    At 850 mb, -15 is cotton candy dendrite muthaload time.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erh.noaa.gov%2Fctp%2FHISA%2FSnowMicroPhysics.ppt&ei=QeXgVNKvF4qmNv_XgPgJ&usg=AFQjCNFvHYoCo033SdmQS8dB_rIcrbQYkA&sig2=Bv3fO36uAE0buokxjpwslA&bvm=bv.85970519,d.eXY

That's being bold

A little maybe but not really. It's easy to envision a fairly decent 6-12 or 8-12 zone and then probably a smaller one that cashes in on banding within it. Someone could get some quality ratios here.

F.Y.I folks...soundings look beautiful.  As in...a DEEP moist layer of -10 to -15C, with lift maximizing around -12C to -15C isotherm. That's ideal for dendritic growth, which would explain why I'm seeing quite a bit of SLR's in the 15-20 to 1 range (though realistically, 15-17 to 1 is probably as good as it gets around here).

.50 inch QPF with a 16-1 SLR = 8".  Care should be taken when viewing some of those implicit ECMWF maps -- I believe they use a 10-1 SLR exclusively. 

F.Y.I folks...soundings look beautiful.  As in...a DEEP moist layer of -10 to -15C, with lift maximizing around -12C to -15C isotherm. That's ideal for dendritic growth, which would explain why I'm seeing quite a bit of SLR's in the 15-20 to 1 range (though realistically, 15-17 to 1 is probably as good as it gets around here).

.50 inch QPF with a 16-1 SLR = 8".  Care should be taken when viewing some of those implicit ECMWF maps -- I believe they use a 10-1 SLR exclusively. 

Thanks for the post... very nice

A little maybe but not really. It's easy to envision a fairly decent 6-12 or 8-12 zone and then probably a smaller one that cashes in on banding within it. Someone could get some quality ratios here.

I can see a localized jurisdiction here and there approaching a foot, but I'd say max inside Beltway where we stand would be 10 considering trends. I wouldn't say it's impossible for those higher numbers, but model guidance still hasn't come close to a foot in D.C. in my mind.

Not really. We'll know more tomorrow of course. These types of storms almost always have a max stripe with mesocale banding.

Suface flow goes se-e-ne through the event. Orographic ehancement possible in the usual areas.

Our main limitation might be speed

I can see a localized jurisdiction here and there approaching a foot, but I'd say max inside Beltway where we stand would be 10 considering trends. I wouldn't say it's impossible for those higher numbers, but model guidance still hasn't come close to a foot in D.C. in my mind.

Model regurgitation is boring sometimes. ;)

Archived