Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the models too, we will not be cold enough for 20:1 the whole time. Some of the ridiculous 5" amounts being thrown around by people who are lucky to get .3 qpf is downright wish casting and ridiculous.

I'll be lucky to see 3". Great ****ing storm

Quit whining. It doesnt always work out that the northern tier gets the most snow. Deal.

BWI is .40 and Martin State Airport is .35. Westminster is .25. That would put Cockeysville roughly at .30. 5 inches is a little too ambitious but 4 is likely. For us 3-4 based on this run. We are extremely cold during the storm.

Cobb data has .26 for Westminster totalling 4.2" of snow with temps around 13F

I see the models too, we will not be cold enough for 20:1 the whole time. Some of the ridiculous 5" amounts being thrown around by people who are lucky to get .3 qpf is downright wish casting and ridiculous.

Your killing the great mood on the forum this morning... what makes you think the north trend is suddenly over?

something that suggests to me another northward shift are the 1000-500 thicknesses

when we are the bulls eye, I check them for us and the surrounding MA locations

I find that even when we are in the bulls eye, before the north trend starts, thicknesses are higher than what would be expected based upon 850 temps, which I know means warming at other levels

well, I'm seeing that now down in ROA as their 850 temp is -3.9 and thicknesses are 5400

this is not always perfect, but it seems to work just fine when we're in the bulls eye like they have been, but won't be if it continues 

Compared to what GFS looked like even 12 hours ago, I'm really encouraged.

Whether it gives me 5" or 3" doesn't matter us much as the way it's been trending since last night, and I don't think it's done yet. I'll be happy with 4" if that's what the storm delivers. 

Sure, we'd all like 8"+ but with the way this winter has gone, a solid snow pack for a few days is really all I ask for.

You know, you're right, thats a great way to look at it. Lets verbatim take the 12z gfs in a trending storm with favorable qpf and snow placement to our s/w, no hp or pv pressing in, and 36 hours before game time. In the middle of what most consider an awfully crappy winter, not to mention the very GFS you're describing has had notorious issues with NW cold sector precip extent for years. Also, your NMD region is notable for its success on convergent banding in the outer periphery of the storm. VV's are not bad in the area and likely indicative of the best lift likely continuing to move into our area of CMD. But hey, thats just me.

I prefer to use the range shown on there, instead of the exact QPF amounts in some of the maps above. If you look closely you can clearly see DC is blue shaded, suggesting 0.5-0.75" of QPF.

Yes mike thats true, but they are narrowly in the .5 area of QPF. If I didn't check text data and had to guess I'd shoot for say .55-.58, but again shifts are still moving the better QPF and lift north, so lets see what the Euro has to say about it all.

Yes mike thats true, but they are narrowly in the .5 area of QPF. If I didn't check text data and had to guess I'd shoot for say .55-.58, but again shifts are still moving the better QPF and lift north, so lets see what the Euro has to say about it all.

I say time to leave the northern folks alone now.

I prefer to use the range shown on there, instead of the exact QPF amounts in some of the maps above. If you look closely you can clearly see DC is blue shaded, suggesting 0.5-0.75" of QPF.

There's no range, they're thresholds representing a transition in the color key. Models like the GFS are deterministic, not probabilistic.

I wish the GFS gave us 0.75", but it doesn't, at least not yet.

I am not even thinking about it. There is a trend here and it's north, ahem, so far. Pointless to parse QPF right now. If some good banding occurs someone will get a bit more. 3-6 area wide too bold? I may be on the low end of any range. But it looks like I can get a broom out for this stuff. Excellent. Mitch always has great insight. So if anyone has doubts about north trend they should take heart from what he just posted.

Archived