Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

Yup, story of our winter. Storm is too north or too south

Sitting on hot coals and sweating bullets up here.  Looks like we are fringed again on the Mason Dixon like we did in March of last year.  Maybe we make up with ratios.  Either way I hope Baltimore and DC proper get smashed.  Be nice to see the office closed in town.   

Don't be too concerned yet. Even though it's light the precip field stretches well north of us so we are not even close to the northern fringe. The driest model gives us .20 and the wettest is over .60. as long as the snow growth is fine we will do the best with ratios. Don't expect 20-1, but 15-1 is likely. As long as the models stay about where they are now I think were good for an average around 4-5 inches. This is not the  type storm that shuts us out as DC gets 4-5. At least I don't think so.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "winter" so far has been a couple of measly clippers and rain. What is your seasonal total so far?

I recall the 1/30/2010 storm not being much for the M/D line... while those of us a little further south really cashed in on that band that developed in the northern burbs of Baltimore.

Still have no idea how far north this comes, but I think you and I are good for at least 3-6".

see my edited post....i think you're fine...you'll probably end up in a secondary un-modeled QPF max and beat people 50-100 miles to your south

What causes that nw fringe band is the combo of convergence with the high on the nw edge of the Ccb and high ratios. It could very well happen again but not sure we have the right high or thermal profile this time. But 3-5" up here like the nam shows followed by arctic cold is nothing to sneeze at anyways plus the northward adjustment may not be over. I think dc is safe though either way.

Any guesses as to why the NWS is siding with the southern camp at this point?

THIS KEEPS THE LOW WELL S OF THE FCST AREA. IN THIS CASE

SUCH A TRACK REMOVES QUSTN OF P-TYPE - IT WOULD ONLY BE SNOW. BUT

ALSO THE TRACK MAY BE SO FAR S THAT MID ATLC WL BE ON THE RLTV

FRINGES OF THE STORM....

HV LOW CONFIDENCE IN SNOW TOTALS

BUT BLV THESE WOULD BE LGT.

Snow map also has everyone in <1 except for the far southern portion of the CWA.

I've noticed they are slow to adjust to new trends. Several storms they were slow to lower snow forecasts when guidance was shifting bad. This time perhaps they are just slow to up them.

I recall the 1/30/2010 storm not being much for the M/D line... while those of us a little further south really cashed in on that band that developed in the northern burbs of Baltimore.

Still have no idea how far north this comes, but I think you and I are good for at least 3-6".

4 inches here with hardly any liquid. Westminster was the cutoff from the really good stuff. They got about 6 inches just 8 miles to my southwest. Sparky probably has it recorded.

I've noticed they are slow to adjust to new trends. Several storms they were slow to lower snow forecasts when guidance was shifting bad. This time perhaps they are just slow to up them.

And besides, what he posted is old info anyway.   They explained in the HPC discussion anyway, that they believed things would have to be moved northward, but didn't want to after only one cycle because of run to run inconsistencies the past 24 hours and they didn't wanna look like they were flip flopping.  If the other 12z guidance holds, expect major changes.

And besides, what he posted is old info anyway.   They explained in the HPC discussion anyway, that they believed things would have to be moved northward, but didn't want to after only one cycle because of run to run inconsistencies the past 24 hours and they didn't wanna look like they were flip flopping.  If the other 12z guidance holds, expect major changes.

We have most of the guidance they have plus a huge aggregate of knowledge, with none of the important responsibility that they do.  I like reading the forecast discussions and the general guidance, but not sure why anyone cares that much about point and clicks and the such...

We have most of the guidance they have plus a huge aggregate of knowledge, with none of the important responsibility that they do.  I like reading the forecast discussions and the general guidance, but not sure why anyone cares that much about point and clicks and the such...

I usually focus more on the discussions out of LWX especially at this point.  But to be honest, after having caught up in here from yesterday evening, I just wanted to get a quick peek if they changed things in the (point/click) forecast.  Which is why I even bothered in the first place.  I only mentioned what I saw because it seemed a bit surprising is all.  I know you may not be necessarily aiming that comment at me, but thought I'd respond all the same...all good.

Rgem looks great for dc but seems to have shifted the heavy snows south in nw va and Maryland. Gonna be close for those of us north of Balt. Seems models are tightening up the northern edge.

Yep, the overall setup stil argues for ticks to the N, it isn't like we have some overwhelming H to the north, its all about the strength of the shortwave, which usually trends stronger as we get closer 

6" is a stretch in the Euro, but thanks for responding. Hope you and Randy had fun and good luck tomorrow. I expect rooftop pics

Euro had Westminster at almost .60. Easily implied 6-8. So it was pretty juiced. My bar is being set at 4 inches. I will be very happy with that and as of now it seems very reasonable.

Archived