Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice censorship going on here. All I did was respond to a question about where I live in Richmond, and why it would be unsurprising if we got nothing out of this storm, when it's our only solid chance at winter weather thus far...

What does that have to do with this storm, the one that this thread is about?   I didn't delete it, but I agree that it should have been. I told mods to get tighter with moderation on this thread.  How is what you posted in anyway helpful to people who want information on THIS storm?  Think about it.

If you want, I can undelete it and put it in banter where it belongs?

I usually focus more on the discussions out of LWX especially at this point.  But to be honest, after having caught up in here from yesterday evening, I just wanted to get a quick peek if they changed things in the (point/click) forecast.  Which is why I even bothered in the first place.  I only mentioned what I saw because it seemed a bit surprising is all.  I know you may not be necessarily aiming that comment at me, but thought I'd respond all the same...all good.

it was a general comment...didn't even see your post....We don't really need Sterling...They have a very important function and they are talented mets, but we've got an enormous pool of talent here.  People get too worried about what LWX says.  If the 12z guidance holds, watches will go up for DC metro later...

Nice censorship going on here. All I did was respond to a question about where I live in Richmond, and why it would be unsurprising if we got nothing out of this storm, when it's our only solid chance at winter weather thus far...

verbatim, RIC does pretty well on the NAM and if you guys switch to sleet, it's not for long and then you go back to snow

note, however, that there may be warming in between the soundings, which are every 50 mb

here are 2 links that should help

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAMSFC/NAM_Kric.txt

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_kric.txt

Rgem looks great for dc but seems to have shifted the heavy snows south in nw va and Maryland. Gonna be close for those of us north of Balt. Seems models are tightening up the northern edge.

True. I could see that being the first trend. Maybe more of a consolidation. I would think southern pa still in the game. Was such a trend north recently that maybe a little more could occur.

it was a general comment...didn't even see your post....We don't really need Sterling...They have a very important function and they are talented mets, but we've got an enormous pool of talent here.  People get too worried about what LWX says.  If the 12z guidance holds, watches will go up for DC metro later...

Yeah, figured it was probably a general comment, and you are correct that there's perhaps too much worry on what LWX says.  There is indeed a lot of talent in here, and it's where I go first to see the latest.  Sorry if this is technically banter, but wanted to reply at least.

As for more on-topic.  Yes, if the 12Z guidance holds well, things will move in a hurry at LWX I'm sure.  Hopefully that will be the case.  At least the 12Z NAM and RGEM gave the first salvo in that direction.

This storm is definitely going into my mental cabinet from a disco matt and I had when it was at med-long leads. When models show unusual dual (or even triple at one point.lol) low progressions at long leads, more often than not it will verify as a single consolidated system.

Models got the multiple pieces of energy idea right but it's impossible to get the progression right beyond a few days. Cool track so far. Twists turns every 12 hours.

Not over yet, but this has been one of the most interesting storms I've tracked in quite some time. Tremendous learning experience so far. Why do you think these dual low progressions end up verifying as a single system? Timing issues?

The most important lesson to be learned is that you can't speak in absolute terms 72 hours out. Too many on here do it way too often even though some of them know better. There is no such thing as can't happen based on guidance 3-5 days out.

Archived