• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

Having it a bit slower and more extensive/heavier precip shield would be nice...I don't know if being much farther north is much of a necessity?  But those two can usually go together.

Those of us north of Baltimore could use another nudge north, DC is in great shape. 

Really looking forward to another storm :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting run. It doesn't appear that it throws up as much moisture into the cold sector initially, then we in the cities cash in late. This run is not particularly great for our western friends.

Well we know the GFS has a historical tendency to do that, but true the cities really cash in 42-48. I'm sure the FDK/OKV crew will be happier come tonight, still a decent run for them. Cold run as well with good ratios.

This storm is definitely going into my mental cabinet from a disco matt and I had when it was at med-long leads. When models show unusual dual (or even triple at one point.lol) low progressions at long leads, more often than not it will verify as a single consolidated system.

Models got the multiple pieces of energy idea right but it's impossible to get the progression right beyond a few days. Cool track so far. Twists turns every 12 hours.

Absolutely agree. The question of whether the Baja low would eject, and what that would mean for a leading edge that seemed to be moving too fast, and the role of last night's front - watching all that resolve in unexpected ways has been fascinating.

It also helps that the mystery seems to come with a happy ending!

Those of us north of Baltimore could use another nudge north, DC is in great shape. 

Really looking forward to another storm :)

Sorry, should have worded what I said more clearly.  Meant that if we can get a more expansive (and heavier) precip shield and have the system a bit slower, that would be good for everyone.  Whether that requires much farther north, I don't know, but obviously those are intertwined.

(ETA:  And yes, really looking forward to another storm that actually puts down some good stuff!)

we are weenies and we know all about the north trend....why don't all mets know this AND figure it in?

The cool thing is the track of the low can stay right where it is and the nw expanse of precip could easily verify further nw than the gfs is showing.

With that track and the entire state of KY getting pummeled makes a strong argument for further nw expanse. There isn't some monster PV pacman chewing off the top. Nor is there a monster suppressive hp.

The cool thing is the track of the low can stay right where it is and the nw expanse of precip could easily verify further nw than the gfs is showing.

With that track and the entire state of KY getting pummeled makes a strong argument for further nw expanse. There isn't some monster PV pacman chewing off the top. Nor is there a monster suppressive hp.

Yes bob, those historical indicators such as KY getting hammered are good signs for us. Not to mention as you've said, we dont have a huge high to the north or a PV. The psuedo block to the NE up in Maritime Canada moves out earlier on with a slower progression of the surface feature. Its game on.

I am sure by 0Z tonight it is showing us with 8".

Or it could totally screw us.  I'm a worrier...I go from being excited and hopeful to now the worry phase.  It's sick, but that's how I've rolled living in this region.   Trends are good, but with the way we've been done this winter, no guarantee the good times will continue tonight at 0z.

Or it could totally screw us.  I'm a worrier...I go from being excited and hopeful to now the worry phase.  It's sick, but that's how I've rolled living in this region.   Trends are good, but with the way we've been done this winter, no guarantee the good times will continue tonight at 0z.

We have been at this for ages so we know that is true, but i would say that is a 10% chance at this stage. We are 30 hours from onset and every model looks great, i would not be worried at all. It is just a question if we get 4" or 8", i would say closer to the 8". And snow with the temps in the low 20's is awesome.

Archived