• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

Not really. We'll know more tomorrow of course. These types of storms almost always have a max stripe with mesocale banding. 

Suface flow goes se-e-ne through the event. Orographic ehancement possible in the usual areas. 

Trying to come up with an analog but I just can't think of many late winter events this cold. Some might remember 2/22/2001. Cold event but not as cold as this one looks. It was a quick hitter with a similar look of the low placement. Most of the region got 3-6.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to come up with an analog but I just can't think of many late winter events this cold. Some might remember 2/22/2001. Cold event but not as cold as this one looks. It was a quick hitter with a similar look of the low placement. Most of the region got 3-6.

Any from last year?

The fact that this is "late winter" is washed out by the relentless cold and the robust West Coast ridge.  1987 had back to back cold snows but this was a month earlier.

tomorrow night is gonna be FUN (i hope).  Looking forward to a night of obs posting.

Obs thread is going to max out in like 10 minutes. 

I like the start time before daylight is gone. I always love taking a walk during first flakes of any storm. Watching radar tomorrow is going to be a unanimous obsession all day. 

Obs thread is going to max out in like 10 minutes. 

I like the start time before daylight is gone. I always love taking a walk during first flakes of any storm. Watching radar tomorrow is going to be a unanimous obsession all day. 

It's perfect.  Late afternoon so no initial sun-angle concerns, but early enough that we get a whole lot of viewing time even for those that will eventually sleep (lol).  I love watching snow at night, and it's like Christmas morning when after you finally fall asleep you jump out of bed and run to the nearest window to see what you've got.  And to know that it'll be on the ground all week is AWESOME.  This is my kind of storm (I hope).

The fact that this is "late winter" is washed out by the relentless cold and the robust West Coast ridge.  1987 had back to back cold snows but this was a month earlier.

I am not of the belief that it's late. 1/15-2/15 is still prime time, 2/17 barely outside of that. The sun is gaining momentum rapidly but it's gain really does not take over and dominate until 3/7.

new post in banter thread. enjoy.

All good, you are an asset here.

I don't know enough about model biases to be confident that the EURO is done and finished vacillating.

It its favor, the other models have been trending towards bringing moisture into the Mid-Atlantic and even up into

southern PA.  I think everyone here strongly hopes the EURO doesn't crash and burn.  How many more model runs, if any,

before NWS forecasters feel confident that NVA/DC/CMD are locked into something plow-able throughout the area?

The Mid-Atlantic sub-forum is rocking today.   Thanks, folks.

Open up the link below!!!   Good stuff, lot of us may cash in on dendrite muthaload.

This PPT: gives the goodies and not at all difficult to understand.    At 850 mb, -15 is cotton candy dendrite muthaload time.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erh.noaa.gov%2Fctp%2FHISA%2FSnowMicroPhysics.ppt&ei=QeXgVNKvF4qmNv_XgPgJ&usg=AFQjCNFvHYoCo033SdmQS8dB_rIcrbQYkA&sig2=Bv3fO36uAE0buokxjpwslA&bvm=bv.85970519,d.eXY

Ha yeah thats one I read a while back. It is quite good.

Archived