joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sarcasm needed. This is an area where I am still learning. It looks like extreme cold with the possibility of serious snow... but what are the realistic ratios in a case like this? What are the realistic snowfall totals if this verifies? 

It all depends on storm track for snow and where the lift is located for ratios. I haven't looked at BUFKIT, but it probably is greater than 10:1 given how cold it is. If the lift is above 700mb where it's very cold and below -18C or so..ratios may be a bit lower. Ideally you want a layer that is saturated and has strong lift in the -12C to -18C region for temps. You can also get good ratios as warm as -8C because the salt nuclei from our proximity to the Atlantic acts to initialize ice nucleation at temps normally not ideal for dendrite production. 

I would be surprised if the Euro didn't trend better looking. It already was going that direction at 00z.

I'm not sure we will ever get a full blown ideal coastal with all the conveyor belts humming at maximum efficiency in this one due to the max baroclinic zone situated E of the best upper level support, but the potential is to still trend this one into a pretty high impact event with solid warning criteria snows...jackpots and localized enhancement can be figured out at a later time of course.

It all depends on storm track for snow and where the lift is located for ratios. I haven't looked at BUFKIT, but it probably is greater than 10:1 given how cold it is. If the lift is above 700mb where it's very cold and below -18C or so..ratios may be a bit lower. Ideally you want a layer that is saturated and has strong lift in the -12C to -18C region for temps. You can also get good ratios as warm as -8C because the salt nuclei from our proximity to the Atlantic acts to initialize ice nucleation at temps normally not ideal for dendrite production. 

Thank you, I can actually get this, though I'm a little hazy on areas of best lift. Usually that gets discussed when the storm is (real) and closer. I will look at BUFKIT and do the extrapolations (simple math).

What get's confusing around this place is statements about it being great or lousy for whomever and often not knowing where they are. I don't want to ask IMBY questions (especially this far out when it is still borderline fantasy) but like having some geographical sense of what will be happening.

I've only seen two model types from 12z of the less dependable variety, the GGEM and the NAVGEM, and both are suffering convective noise... These cold heights and thicknesses advecting seaward are setting up a powder keg of instability from the Del Marva to ~ 100 miles E of CC, and that zone is so ripe for detonation that the deep layer mechanics touch it off way way before the best forcing ever gets there.  

That's why we are seeing -- relative to those solutions -- that weird dual low structure at the surface, with the westward low seemingly the western end of a norlun structure.  It think one of the other low is likely to become dominant ...less dumb-bell structure.   I see some vestiges of this type of complex processing in last night's other guidance types, as well.  

2 bumps in a row on qpf from 0z to 6z to 12z for kcon

up to around .5" from nearly nothing at 0z

Referencing "QPF" in the Sunday event thread is hereafter completely banned.

Quick reminder on banned terms:

Banned in any thread:

• tepid
  • jackpot
  • lollis
  • Connecticut

Banned in this thread:

• QPF
  • mix
  • Schenectady
  • departure

Please PM me if seeking safe alternatives so as to avoid incident.

--- Management

Banned in any thread:

• tepid
  • jackpot
  • lollis
  • Connecticut

Banned in this thread:

• QPF
  • mix
  • Schenectady
  • departure

--- Management

Haha, well done

Banned in any thread:

• tepid
  • jackpot
  • lollis
  • Connecticut
  • tick
  • circle jerks

Banned in this thread:

• QPF
  • mix
  • Schenectady
  • departure

--- Management

I added a couple

Archived