joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12-13 Potential Coastal Storm Threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that would be the case there would be serious hydro issues for places that already are up over 48"+, I don't think it can get that far west with the kicker upstream

Oh it definitely can't get that far west. The ridge axis out west is perfectly stable for eastern SNE. This will be a fun pattern in March as the seasonal jet lifts north.

You are on a roll lately.

I like this one a lot but that said i have spent zero time looking way way to the source regions to see what's up. Relying more on models and analysis done by others at h12 etc. if there's a big error in the gfs that got missed than this train of thought is out the window but this seems like another case of a system falling into one of the euros cracks. Sw energy was never a strong point but was fixed much like the nam was fixed

BOX 4pm AFD regarding potential.  Basically in a wait and see mode.

OTHERWISE...THE MAIN POTENTIAL ISSUES IN THE EXTENDED FORECAST ARE
LISTED BELOW.

1) SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM OR GLANCING BLOW THU/EARLY FRI?

MAIN CONCERN REVOLVES AROUND THE POTENTIAL FOR YET ANOTHER
SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM POSSIBLE THU INTO EARLY FRIDAY. WHILE WE
PROBABLY WILL SEE AT LEAST A BIT OF SNOW FROM THIS SYSTEM...WHETHER
OR NOT THIS BECOMES ANOTHER MAJOR WINTER STORM FOR PORTIONS OF THE
REGION REMAINS TO BE SEEN. WHAT WE DO KNOW THAT IS A POTENT
SHORTWAVE WILL CARVE OUT A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED TROUGH ACROSS THE
NORTHEAST STATES. THE RESULT IS ITS ASSOCIATED LOW PRESSURE OVER
THE GREAT LAKES...RE-DEVELOPING ALONG THE COAST AND BECOMING A BOMB
AS IT LIFTS NORTHEASTWARD.

THE FORECAST DILEMMA IS THAT THE LOW IS IN THE PROCESS OF BOMBING
OUT NEAR THE TIME ITS PULLING AWAY FROM THE REGION. A SUBTLE
DIFFERENCE IN TIMING WILL MEAN THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A SMALL SNOW
ACCUMULATION OR A MAJOR WINTER STORM. HIGHEST RISK FOR HEAVY
SNOW/STRONG WINDS WILL BE ALONG THE COASTAL PLAIN...BUT STILL TOO
EARLY TO RULE THE REST OF THE REGION OUT. THE SETUP HAS A LOT OF
POTENTIAL...BUT IT COULD END UP BEING JUST A LITTLE TOO LATE. WILL
HAVE TO KEEP ALL OPTIONS ON THE TABLE AT THIS TIME RANGE.

LOOKING AT OPERATIONAL GUIDANCE IN THIS RANGE CAN LEAD TO WILD
SWINGS IN THE FORECAST. HOWEVER...THE 12Z GFS WHICH SHOWS A BIG HIT
VS. THE 12Z ECMWF WHICH SHOWS A MISS GIVES US AN IDEA OF POSSIBLE
OUTCOMES.

Meh, that's about right for a guess in the BOX CWA. Basically even money that a storm will fall either side of 10:1. 75th percentile being 13.3" says you probably shouldn't count on a storm being any more than that.

attachicon.gifbox.GIF

Given the temperatures Thursday night to Friday, though, wouldn't we err on the side above the 10:1? 

Yeah it appears that if Thursday night is stronger and a hit, then Sunday is further east.

Vice versa too. A weaker Friday system seems to give Sunday more room to amplify.

I have been trying to convey this point on facebook to my family in friends. 

Just watched Harvey's broadcast...seems very concerned for Thursday night. Expecting "substantial or significant" snow.....

I also tried to get everyone to watch Harvey.  His voice and appearance was that of a concerned father watching over his children.

Given the temperatures Thursday night to Friday, though, wouldn't we err on the side above the 10:1? 

Not really, especially not at this range. I wouldn't start trying to guess SLRs before watches even fly. This is how we (NWS) end up with inflated maps three days out. We try and get too cute with things that are very difficult to forecast.

I don't see any evidence from the soundings at BOS that SLRs should be significantly different from an average 10:1. In fact much of the lift in the GFS is above the DGZ.

I like that 967mb low on that member parked 10 minutes E of ACK ...   

12-18" of snow driven along in infrastructural grid failure winds for everyone E of HFD-EEN.... SE Mass denuded off the face of the planet ... comet impacts, dogs and cats sleeping together, Tip finding a g-f ... I mean, you name it: hell comes to Earth on that idea.

But, that all said, one thing this system has going for it, in my mind, is that it's too late to be wrong??  

What I mean by that, the nearer term guidance (through 48 and 72 hours) is going to be less likely very wrong as Lucifer's hammer comes thundering down out of the Canadian territories and over western Lakes.   That much mechanical power has got to be conserved ... to mention, getting a synoptic boost by the L/W axis parked along 75 or so W longitude; that much power is likely to built some S/W ridging out over the Atlantic/seen as bulge-correction in the isopleths running out immediately downstream the trough axis (I suspect going forward..);  but that subtlety will tend to feed back on a westerly solution in my mind.  

Also, on a more conceptual level ... the flow looks too stretched, which was a correction applied to the charts prior to the blizzard, and that correct turned out the course of least regret.  What all that means is... the ridge axis in the west is not progressive, so the R-wave arguments are that the deep layer trough in the E should reach its greatest depth/amplitude prior/along 75W ...not E of the coast like some of the eastern solutions appear to be. 

Anomalies relative to anomalies do take place from time to time, but for me, the better bet is bring this further west and deeper.  Which ... I know, is quite fortunate for the denizens of SNE that are so winter starved this season and would do anything imaginable just to see a flake of snow...

I like that 967mb low on that member parked 10 minutes E of ACK ...   

12-18" of snow driven along in infrastructural grid failure winds for everyone E of HFD-EEN.... SE Mass denuded off the face of the planet ... comet impacts, dogs and cats sleeping together, Tip finding a g-f ... I mean, you name it: hell comes to Earth on that idea.

But, that all said, one thing this system has going for it, in my mind, is that it's too late to be wrong??  

What I mean by that, the nearer term guidance (through 48 and 72 hours) is going to be less likely very wrong as Lucifer's hammer comes thundering down out of the Canadian territories and over western Lakes.   That much mechanical power has got to be conserved ... to mention, getting a synoptic boost by the L/W axis parked along 75 or so W longitude; that much power is likely to built some S/W ridging out over the Atlantic/seen as bulge-correction in the isopleths running out immediately downstream the trough axis (I suspect going forward..);  but that subtlety will tend to feed back on a westerly solution in my mind.  

Also, on a more conceptual level ... the flow looks too stretched, which was a correction applied to the charts prior to the blizzard, and that correct turned out the course of least regret.  What all that means is... the ridge axis in the west is not progressive, so the R-wave arguments are that the deep layer trough in the E should reach its greatest depth/amplitude prior/along 75W ...not E of the coast like some of the eastern solutions appear to be. 

Anomalies relative to anomalies do take place from time to time, but for me, the better bet is bring this further west and deeper.  Which ... I know, is quite fortunate for the denizens of SNE that are so winter starved this season and would do anything imaginable just to see a flake of snow...

I like you much better like this when you are emotionally vested in snow and showing your joy and true spirit for a special winter. Not the guy talking about  sun warming inside of cars in Feb as sun angle increases and going on  killing sprees Valentines Night

Archived