joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12-13 Potential Coastal Storm Threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is basically a 1-3" event with maybe 3-5" on the Cape/Islands...maybe ACK gets warning snows.

Given that some of the interaction that takes place 48-72 involves energy diving into the four corners region and sticking - not too worried about the Euro being east right now.   Will see if it doesn't come some west tonight.  

Given that some of the interaction that takes place 48-72 involves energy diving into the four corners region and sticking - not too worried about the Euro being east right now.   Will see if it doesn't come some west tonight.  

It's the eastern outlier at the moment...so I'll bet it does come west at least some....but if it has an idea over some other guidance, this could end up being a more tame adivosry or low end warning event versus another major snowstorm.

It's not far from something big...that's for sure. It doesn't dig our main shortwave as much as the other models do.

Seems like the days are gone of Euro sniffing a west trend while GFS is way East. Euro playing catch up and adjusting west twds GFS. Not the first time either since the upgrade.

Well...this doesn't have to come west. I remember an event in early February 2009 when the GFS and NAM were insisting on a KU-esque coastal and the Euro kept it more tame as an advisory event with an inverted trough...well, guess which one ended up verifying? (hint: you probably don't remember a KU in early February 2009)

We've seen this EURO game before this season.

Yeah I'm not confident with it right now...it did perform well in the medium range though on our current long duration snow event...but these northern stream amplifiers it has had some trouble with at times.

Well...this doesn't have to come west. I remember an event in early February 2009 when the GFS and NAM were insisting on a KU-esque coastal and the Euro kept it more tame as an advisory event with an inverted trough...well, guess which one ended up verifying? (hint: you probably don't remember a KU in early February 2009)

Im not sold that it's a big hit. But I do think the chsnces of at least a 3-6 event are pretty high.. I'd bet we see some decent spread west on the ENS

Yeah I'm not confident with it right now...it did perform well in the medium range though on our current long duration snow event...but these northern stream amplifiers it has had some trouble with at times.

There is the overall dominant pattern to consider, which says late week minor impact, early week big impact. Weak voodoo, but voodoo nonetheless.

I remember that one. 

That was my first usuage of the term "inverted trough of VD".

It's the eastern outlier at the moment...so I'll bet it does come west at least some....but if it has an idea over some other guidance, this could end up being a more tame adivosry or low end warning event versus another major snowstorm.

It's not far from something big...that's for sure. It doesn't dig our main shortwave as much as the other models do.

There's that delicate interaction early in the cycle that delays it's ability to tilt the trough. Could be right but seems to be one of the old biases it has at times. Every winter is different though. I think it'll come west but am by no means certain yet. Compromise of the GFS and euro yields a moderate hit

Euro ensembles look pretty good to me on this event.

They are still more like the OP though versus the larger hits on other guidance...they do seem to throw a bit more moisture back into E MA though than the OP did...so there's probably a few good members in there.

Hopefully we will see it come more on board at 00z.

They are still more like the OP though versus the larger hits on other guidance...they do seem to throw a bit more moisture back into E MA though than the OP did...so there's probably a few good members in there.

Well, it's not known for making huge leaps run to run. If 00z shows improvement it can be looked at as trending toward greater impact.

To me that's a decent sign.  A very small nuance on the Euro op and we have a big storm.  Right now, it appears to be on the east side of the envelope so hopefully it comes inside in the next 2 runs.  If it's alone, what to do?

To me that's a decent sign.  A very small nuance on the Euro op and we have a big storm.  Right now, it appears to be on the east side of the envelope so hopefully it comes inside in the next 2 runs.  If it's alone, what to do?

Trust it implicitly. Worked out well for NYC a couple weeks ago.

Archived