• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

Not going to lie, I'm a little more calm after the 12z GFS. It won't take a huge south shift to put my area back in the game.

DC area will be tougher though

Hr 72 is so wet, and it's all snow right across the M/D line. A little shift south and we could get hit pretty good (sort of like yesterday's 12 EURO).

Also, it looks like 1-2" at the end of the storm.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hr 72 is so wet, and it's all snow right across the M/D line. A little shift south and we could get hit pretty good (sort of like yesterday's 12 EURO).

Reminds me of Feb 3 last year.... a nice 4-8" storm from Parkton into PA. Mostly rain even a little further south.

I changed my mind, Im ready to give up.

These models all seem to be doing the same thing.   Probably overestimated the cold push south.

People are looking for complicated reasons this shifted north but its really simple, the northern stream energy was a little stronger, phased a little more and thus the low ended up just a bit stronger and north.  I was looking at the major features and they are all just about identical from the 12z runs yesterday that showed a better solution for us.  The difference is the storm is a little more amped earlier on.  That shifts the track north just a bit.  The other players, the high to the NW, the 50/50 low the high over greenland are about identical.  The low going from 1007 to 1002 with a bit more northern stream energy is what did it in.  If we had a perfect PNA/NAO combo then this wouldnt matter...more amped would even be better as it would still force the low under us but throw more qpf into us.  I was totally wrong yesterday.  I had not had the time to really look at the set up more then a glance but the nao/pna is not ideal and there really is nothing to prevent this from taking a more north track.  The only way more amped would work was if the northern stream was digging more but the trough is fairly flat due to the PNA coming down at the worst possible time. 

If Philly can go from 12-18 inches to essentially nothing within a 24 hour model cycle, surely we can go from nothing to something by tomorrow.  :popcorn:

MDstorm

There are some ways to get something outside of a very unlikely shift back to 12z yesterdays runs. If slp forms far enough south and stronger, meaningful front end stuff is definitely possible. Probably the thing to root for at this point. 

Yesterday on Twitter, I noticed the 850mb low track was odd but it worked on the snowier solutions. On the cold solutions, the 850mb low tracked from Ohio/WV into VA and then to the coast. Now, it is moving due east across PA. This lack of E-SE motion from more s/w amplification is basically the problem. The hope now is watching to see if the progressive flow (next wave, interaction with Baja etc.) can prevent the current deeper solutions. A slightly less amplified s/w will not resist the Canadian flow, and the mid level circulations will move along with the ride, i.e. ESE instead of E.

There are some ways to get something outside of a very unlikely shift back to 12z yesterdays runs. If slp forms far enough south and stronger, meaningful front end stuff is definitely possible. Probably the thing to root for at this point. 

The front running moisture could end up decent and more than currently modeled. Precip does seem to want to race into the area. Can't rule out a bit on the end as well. At hour 48 there is a 1036 high so some cold could hold on a little longer but that just may mean a period of some zr for some after following the initial period of snow.

The front running moisture could end up decent and more than currently modeled. Precip does seem to want to race into the area. Can't rule out a bit on the end as well. At hour 48 there is a 1036 high so some cold could hold on a little longer but that just may mean a period of some zr for some after following the initial period of snow.

The front running precip is likely to set up along the axis of where the best snows will be.  Always does.  If there is ridging in front of this it will push that boundary north of us.  This is a situation where the places north of the boundary get a nice snow, then south of it goes to very little precip at all quickly.  Similar to early Feb last year where it went from 6-10" down to nothing in only 20 miles.   

We have more of a shot up here obviously, we only need about a 50 miles south shift and we are money but I am not even feeling very good about this right now.  Seasonal trends can't be ignored, it just does not want to snow a LOT this year.  We will get our customary 2-4" nickel and dime storm probably while north of us gets the 12" powerder again.   

That can't be good down here 

Looks like .1-.25" as snow potential for everyone at least.. more up near the PA/MD border.  It's a bit south of the GFS with the low passage but fairly similar. 

Archived