Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC and BOS get the Miller B hat trick.

Last storm was a bad sign. Atmospheric memory is real. If it happens again with a -NAO even if imperfect we're probably cooked except for nickling our way to something salvageable. 

GGEM is okay, but it is a bit of a mess as the low cuts through WV and passes over us, but it says temps would be ok, if not marginal. Gives us 2-3". Meh...

Maybe Euro has something?

I think what Bob/Ian said it more realistic than a big shift back south....get a thump of moisture in here before the flip....either via a stronger low...or the models may just not be picking up on that yet...Canadian suggests it....even a 25 mile south shift with a thump could give many of us 1-2"+ before a flip

I think what Bob/Ian said it more realistic than a big shift back south....get a thump of moisture in here before the flip....either via a stronger low...or the models may just not be picking up on that yet...Canadian suggests it....even a 25 mile south shift with a thump could give many of us 1-2"+ before a flip

Yes, I agree that a giant shift south is unrealistic at this point. Temperatures look marginal enough on GGEM, it would really be a mixing 1-2" I think? I'm tired of that stuff. I would rather have cold rain.

The front running precip is likely to set up along the axis of where the best snows will be.  Always does.  If there is ridging in front of this it will push that boundary north of us.  This is a situation where the places north of the boundary get a nice snow, then south of it goes to very little precip at all quickly.  Similar to early Feb last year where it went from 6-10" down to nothing in only 20 miles.   

We have more of a shot up here obviously, we only need about a 50 miles south shift and we are money but I am not even feeling very good about this right now.  Seasonal trends can't be ignored, it just does not want to snow a LOT this year.  We will get our customary 2-4" nickel and dime storm probably while north of us gets the 12" powerder again.   

Yeah, this one may be painful. At this point I don't think this thing goes drastically farther north but any nudge would favor a bit more north. I looked at the text output and it's downright disgusting for specifically us. Essentially we never get above freezing at the surface at the warmest point. Then .54 qpf falls between 6z and 12z.  Ridiculous.

Last storm was a bad sign. Atmospheric memory is real. If it happens again with a -NAO even if imperfect we're probably cooked except for nickling our way to something salvageable. 

It seems like in the past we have an ok shot of getting some one-off decent storm at some point even if the rest of winter sucks....2/4/95, 2/8/97, 3/9/99, 1/25/04, 2/11/06, 3/1/09, 1/26/11....I don't disagree with certain patterns setting up...at the same time, sometimes things just align for one decent event even in the middle of a bunch of nickel and dime nonsense...

It seems like in the past we have an ok shot of getting some one-off decent storm at some point even if the rest of winter sucks....2/4/95, 2/8/97, 3/9/99, 1/25/04, 2/11/06, 3/1/09, 1/26/11....I don't disagree with certain patterns setting up...at the same time, sometimes things just align for one decent event even in the middle of a bunch of nickel and dime nonsense...

yeah it's probably silly to write it off entirely though I do think once you see a pattern it can be tricky to break out of. even in 09-10 we shut down as soon as NE started getting it good. it is early to give up -- esp with the ridiculously resilient ridge out west. almost time to start watching for chase season cancel... 

yeah it's probably silly to write it off entirely though I do think once you see a pattern it can be tricky to break out of. even in 09-10 we shut down as soon as NE started getting it good. it is early to give up -- esp with the ridiculously resilient ridge out west. almost time to start watching for chase season cancel...

My bar is set at 2-4" for this....time to salvage some self respect out of this winter

More Baja involvement, more northern stream involvement, less confluence now in Canada...this can get ugly quickly. The idea was a simple s/w with some Baja moisture running into Arctic Air yesterday. Now, we are making a solid cyclone with a lot more interaction of features in the Plains.

I hate these kind of -NAO blocks. Thumb ridge/transient spokes into 50-50 position attached to the MAIN PV west is a recipe for quick removal. Uuuugh

No, its the Canadian or CMC, GGEM whatever...they have 50 names for it.

I think that site uses the RGEM (regional model) for the first 48 hours and GGEM (global model) for the rest.  The first 48 hours become available when the RGEM comes out, and 49-120 become available when the GGEM comes out.

More Baja involvement, more northern stream involvement, less confluence now in Canada...this can get ugly quickly. The idea was a simple s/w with some Baja moisture running into Arctic Air yesterday. Now, we are making a solid cyclone with a lot more interaction of features in the Plains.

I hate these kind of -NAO blocks. Thumb ridge/transient spokes into 50-50 position attached to the MAIN PV west is a recipe for quick removal. Uuuugh

and it did

keep providing your input, maybe something will break in our favor, though I can't help but doubt it attm

It's not a bad setup. Probably the best we've seen this year. But there was wrong way wiggle room and there were some signs of it before 18z yesterday where it became more obvious. The 12z euro/gfs combo yesterday was a real reason to get kinda excited but lying in the background was the dreaded wv track. 

Time to make lemonade and root for as much as we can get (if any) before the column goes to hell, 

More Baja involvement, more northern stream involvement, less confluence now in Canada...this can get ugly quickly. The idea was a simple s/w with some Baja moisture running into Arctic Air yesterday. Now, we are making a solid cyclone with a lot more interaction of features in the Plains.I hate these kind of -NAO blocks. Thumb ridge/transient spokes into 50-50 position attached to the MAIN PV west is a recipe for quick removal. Uuuugh

your area still gets smoked for now at least

Archived