Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much can I possibly hedge?

5pm Update - *Your Super Bowl Plans could be affected* (Remember we are still 72 hours out. Lots can change)

There is some model consensus developing regarding the Sunday/Monday event. Below is a very general idea for DC. Details will change. But this is what the guidance is suggesting. Do not rely on the timeline right now. It is loose. I will update later tonight before I go to bed, and then again tomorrow afternoon.

You could tell them that this is a low confidence forecast but that you will be able to issue a high confidence one about an hour before kickoff.

The one thing I'd like to see in terms of model trends is a little cooler 850-700 mb profile. I don't have access to the soundings, but I do see in the 18Z GFS that 0°C 850 line lifts up across the lower Eastern Shore and possibly clips far southern MD by 12Z Mon. From a climo standpoint, at least for the best dendrites/rates, we want to be closer to -3° to -6°C at 850 mb.

for those wanting the GFS time periods broken down into 3 hour intervals, go to this link and just change the station from BWI at the end of the url to your station of choice

please note that there is a message at the top of the link that says they are going to a pay site in FEB; too bad as I've been using this for years

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KBWI

Agreed. We still have a long way to go but I'm impressed by the consensus and continuity of the models. I keep expecting significant changes and they keep doubling down. Maybe we are getting close enough to feel really confident on track at least.

Big difference is the presence of the arctic blocking high. It's been absent from most of the other storms this year. As long as the high stays in place and the track south we should be good. Now if we can get the trough to go negative tilt that would be great.

Archived