• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

There's always a chance (heck likelihood if history has anything to say about it) that the NAM (and SREF for that matter) will shift farther south and colder.  That's what they do within 48.  I'd really be curious to see if the GFS can hold, and how the EC will trend. The thing with that current NAM slp track -- it's not only the warming aloft (potential mixing) to worry about, but oh that dreaded dry slot.  Yes, we'll always have that front end thump -- but I'd rather it be closer to 4-6" vs. 2-4" or (gulp) 1-2".

There couldn't be a more perfect time for what the NAM just spit out.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks around here generally say be Wary of the NAM outside of 24 hours. What is your opinion on this matter?

It is the NAM but it must be not be overlooked. It certainly does better at shorter range but could very well be giving an indication of something. Just about every storm has an outlier...some more noticeable than others. in this case it looks like there is a delay with the arctic air moving in. Not out of the question...but I hope it's wrong.

Id rather have the dry slot then the rain. Front end thumps to dry slot can work out decent. 3-5 to dry slot is not the end of the world.

Yep. Quite often the front end WWA stuff transitions to a light sleety, drizzly mix with the SLP track closer to us (as per the NAM).  So it's not the end of the world. What we get on the backside (if any) would be a bigger question. 

Either way, we would need that SLP to track farther south...certainly south of the 00Z NAM, and it would be even better to be a touch south of the 18Z runs. Need that upper level confluence to the north to become more w-e oriented and pressed down a little farther south.

Fair enough, and I'm not really trying to parse it. Just throwing out the caution is all, but I think we all have been pretty cautious anyhow. Too easy around here to wait for the shoe to drop, so to speak.

On a lighter note, in reference to you saying the NAM has a history of being a "laughingstock toward the end of its run". Recall last year, I believe with that Feb. 12-13 storm, the NAM at one time 78-84 hours out was developing this bomb right behind that system that would have been a ton of ice followed by a wash out rain storm?? Of course that disappeared right after that run.

We could fill a 20 page thread with examples. I usually rant about the NAM once a winter. Hopefully this is it. Carry on.

Just a weird quirk Tbh. I studied hard during my years in the Rockies because snow setups are basically range specific. Since I was addicted to powder skiing I spent a lot of time understanding exactly what to look for to get good snow in my specific county. I was really good at it. It's no different with my yard here. Unfortunately much less prolific. Haha

Eta: what matt said. I'm a one trick pony in small region. It really is silly but fun.

Just a weird quirk Tbh. I studied hard during my years in the Rockies because snow setups are basically range specific. Since I was addicted to powder skiing I spent a lot of time understanding exactly what to look for to get good snow in my specific county. I was really good at it. It's no different with my yard here. Unfortunately much less prolific. Haha

Eta: what matt said. I'm a one trick pony in small region. It really is silly but fun.

DC area is a tough as any in the nation for winter weather. Rain/snow line usually close, almost all big storms mix a bit but if too much they are not a big storm, ocean and mountains relatively close proximity. I state emphatically that the peolpe who have been named and a few that were not Are In Fact better at DC weather than most all mets who are out of the region.  Local met has all that skill plus the local experience-can't top that.

It is the NAM but it must be not be overlooked. It certainly does better at shorter range but could very well be giving an indication of something. Just about every storm has an outlier...some more noticeable than others. in this case it looks like there is a delay with the arctic air moving in. Not out of the question...but I hope it's wrong.

Thanks for responding. It is good to hear from a Big Kahuna on this item.

Yep. Quite often the front end WWA stuff transitions to a light sleety, drizzly mix with the SLP track closer to us (as per the NAM).  So it's not the end of the world. What we get on the backside (if any) would be a bigger question. 

Either way, we would need that SLP to track farther south...certainly south of the 00Z NAM, and it would be even better to be a touch south of the 18Z runs. Need that upper level confluence to the north to become more w-e oriented and pressed down a little farther south.

Certainly south of the 18Z GEFS ens mean, it's track isn't that different than the NAM. I note the ukmet also had a miller b look. 

...and a little strange.  I mean, between 60 hrs (12Z Sun) and 78 hours (06Z Mon), there isn't a HINT of a northerly low level component to the wind at all.  With the degree of cold air to the north (snowpack across the NE) and in-situ CAD potential, I am surprised to see the NAM not reflecting any of this with the surface wind.  Okay, I agree...bad run! :)

...and a little strange. I mean, between 60 hrs (12Z Sun) and 78 hours (06Z Mon), there isn't a HINT of a northerly low level component to the wind at all. With the degree of cold air to the north (snowpack across the NE) and in-situ CAD potential, I am surprised to see the NAM not reflecting any of this with the surface wind. Okay, I agree...bad run! :)

It is weird. It's got that cold air lagging and the nose of the high is over the plains as opposed to an elongated blocking high like the GFS.

It is weird. It's got that cold air lagging and the nose of the high is over the plains as opposed to an elongated blocking high like the GFS.

Yep.  'Tis only one run, but as Wes noted, it's disconcerting when it's close to the UK and GEFS mean with the SLP track.

Side note...this used to be the OH Valley low a few days ago, with DC squarely in the warm sector. The past several model runs have gone 180 deg from that idea, but I'm just hoping they won't go back full circle toward that original scenario.  We've seen that happen before, both good and bad..

Archived