Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're all anxiously awaiting the EC but I think we should be equally eager to see the trends in the GEFS and EC ensembles, as in how many more members trended north or south, and how do the means compare to the previous suite. I won't find out until I wake up in the morning, lol :)

As some of the runs did a few days ago, lol!

Still, I'm going to remain quasi-optimistic. Whether there's a separate HP center north of us or not...that's some awfully cold air to work with at lower levels not far to our north going into Sunday afternoon -- certainly some real good evap cooling potential for a while. I'm not saying the system should be overly suppressed, but goodness, I just think those heights to the north are a bit too high all things considered. And the SLP track from KY ene, up and over the central Apps mind you, just doesn't seem that realistic considering the degree of antecedent cold air/low wetbulbs in place at the onset. Either there really isn't much in-situ CAD to work with (hard to believe), or the NAM/GFS aren't just handling it very well.

Not saying this won't play out as advertised by the 00Z NAM/GFS and 18Z GEFS mean...I just wouldn't be shocked to see a southward trend (yet again) beginning at 12Z.

I sure hope it shifts back to the south. I couldn't believe the surface pattern of the GFS...nose of the High into Texas. Earlier runs it was up across the plains and Great Lakes. Any further north track and its WAA, 50F with dense fog.

What's sad is that the arctic air is not far to the north, and the wave is compact enough that it shouldn't amplify too much in the cold air -- compared to an inland-running Miller A. The SLP never gets below 1000 mb while crossing the mid Atlantic.  Given the antecedent cold air...the arctic variety just to our north...I can certainly see the SLP track and 850 mb low track shift farther south.  I mean, if we can't suppress a 1000+ SLP to our south under these antecedent conditions, when can we?

What's sad is that the arctic air is not far to the north, and the wave is compact enough that it shouldn't amplify too much in the cold air -- compared to an inland-running Miller A. The SLP never gets below 1000 mb while crossing the mid Atlantic.  Given the antecedent cold air...the arctic variety just to our north...I can certainly see the SLP track and 850 mb low track shift farther south.  I mean, if we can't suppress a 1000+ SLP to our south under these antecedent conditions, when can we?

It's all about the high. Thanks.

Lol. I think we're giving too much respect to The gfs just because of last week. The redskins beat the Eagles this year. It happens but I'll only panic tonight if euro looks like gfs

we don't know enough about the new GFS yet in terms of how it handles east coast winter storms at different ranges...We know the Canadian is high res and can be great and can be awful....It led on a couple events last winter...It also acted as cautionary guidance when Euro/GFS were lockstep and the Canadian wasn't....and often there was something to it....As we know the euro is kind of a rock...it will probably look similar to 12z...perhaps north a tad...I don't think it will cave to the GFS (i hope not).

Archived