Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ensembles look better... GFS/Euro Ens. means are slightly south of Ops, though not enough to really mean much for the immediate DC zone. 850mb spread is pretty evenly distributed around the means.

Well that is something I guess. I still think the CAD is going to be a stronger than the models are showing. I would think we have a chance for some decent snows Sunday evening. But I am not very good at forecasting so just take that with a grain of salt.

I have never liked storms taking that particular track toward east coast. Having said that it's still a very close call.The last two runs same to have stabilized the north trend so I think we may still end up with a good event. If the 12z run continues to show the north progression is over, then maybe we will see a slight reversal to the south and maybe that's what the earlier weather statement alluded to.

Well that is something I guess. I still think the CAD is going to be a stronger than the models are showing. I would think we have a chance for some decent snows Sunday evening. But I am not very good at forecasting so just take that with a grain of salt.

the amount of CAD is a direct function to the strength of the vortex off Newfoundland that is now developing to our NE......just look at the snow developing right now :axe:

so, it comes down to its ultimate strength and location

I mentioned yesterday that the cause for many of our last minute jogs north over the years have been to computers overly strengthening that feature; recent model runs say the same thing has happened

we could still pull it out if the PNA was to rise more than progged even if the vortex is as weak as the model (save GGEM and maybe 1 or 2 others), but it's hard to fight a long history of the computers giving us false hopes over the years (a virtual error) and this season's trends (a virtual travesty)

I'd wait a little longer too but it's not like people are reacting to a small shift with one model. Virtually all the "reliable" ones went from lock step MA special to lock step we're fooked. Inside 72hrs. Who doesn't get tired of praying for a reverse trend at the last minute? Our area has had to do it three times in the last week.

^ what he said

I guess that there still is enough spread to see decent snow here...but in the years of doing this hobby I have rarely seen models reverse a north trend inside of 72 hours. That said here is HPC's quote on the 0z model suite:

THE PREVAILING SHIFT IN THE 00Z MODELS WAS FOR A MORE NORTHERLY
TRACK WITH THIS SYSTEM...WHICH IS REFLECTED IN THE WPC
FORECAST...PARTICULARLY FROM LATE DAY 2 ONWARD.  HOWEVER FORECAST
CONFIDENCE WAS TEMPERED BY THE RUN-TO-RUN INCONSISTENCIES THE
MODELS HAVE SHOWN ALONG THE WITH DISTINCT POSSIBILITY THAT THE
MODELS MAY REVERSE TRENDS IN SUBSEQUENT RUNS.

By far the most sofisticated way of saying "your guess is as good as mine" that I have seen for this one.

That's pretty much what much what most mets strive for... How effectively they can communicate uncertainty. That's a shame.

Well it certainly makes you wonder about raising confidence when there is model consensus.  Model consensus just means they fail as a consensus.  They led us astray again.  Kudos to those who stuck to their guns that a northerly track was favored in spite of the model consensus and slightly -nao.  Wes, you really made that point well and I consider you the best forecaster in the region.  Still time, and the models could be in consensus error again.  As we say numerous times each winter, we do cold rain very well.

Considering we are coming up on 48 hrs out the models have likely locked on to something that will not change very much. I think some minor jogs south or north are possible but a full on shift back to the

south is unlikely at this point.

Yeah...I would bet on a minor event at this point.

Not sure what all the towel throwing is all about over a couple of runs. Models have been so bad lately. Look at the last storm. NAM had Philly, NYC and NJ buried in snow literally up until the storm hit, and look how that turned out. Euro, same deal.

Totally different setup... That was a sharp western cutoff situation in a deepening nor'easter.

Not sure what all the towel throwing is all about over a couple of runs. Models have been so bad lately. Look at the last storm. NAM had Philly, NYC and NJ buried in snow literally up until the storm hit, and look how that turned out. Euro, same deal.

Yup... North shift. Probably happen with this one too

I was no confident in the solutions yesterday because the NS energy was still offshore. I believe that for most storms this year, the model solutions have been highly variable until the NS vort is onshore and with the fast flow, we have a short lead time before we get the "right" solution.

I was no confident in the solutions yesterday because the NS energy was still offshore. I believe that for most storms this year, the model solutions have been highly variable until the NS vort is onshore and with the fast flow, we have a short lead time before we get the "right" solution.

You sure about that... Ask Philly and New York about your quote.  The models have even been horrible within 24 hours of a storm.

Archived