Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not panicked at all. But there is no reason to say a north track is impossible. Not a run I want to see but gfs/euro exponentially more important

No, not a reason to really panic at this point.  It's disheartening all the same, and even though it's the NAM out at the end of its run, it's in line with those more northern GEFS ensemble members.  So it's not totally out there really.  We'll see what the globals say, hopefully they hold from what they had earlier.  Don't like seeing that confluence get pushed back more.  After 4 straight complete set of model runs that looked great (00Z through 18Z), it's hard to deny this is a kick in the head.

No, not a reason to really panic at this point.  It's disheartening all the same, and even though it's the NAM out at the end of its run, it's in line with those more northern GEFS ensemble members.  So it's not totally out there really.  We'll see what the globals say, hopefully they hold from what they had earlier.  Don't like seeing that confluence get pushed back more.  After 4 straight complete set of model runs that looked great (00Z through 18Z), it's hard to deny this is a kick in the head.

I deny it categorically....It means absolutely nothing...I must have been on vacation the day that the NAM started to matter at day 3...

If we did this stuff 2-3 yeas ago we'd be laughed off the board...I don't know when it became acceptable to view the NAM at 60+ hours as anything more than entertainment or to look at the details of the globals at day 9

why not? :)

The only somewhat discouraging thing is looking at how many GEFS ens members had that track..  The Euro ensemble also had some simiar tracks but overall was better than last night.

I'm not discouraged...certainly anything can happen, but the NAM is of no value to me at this range...To be blunt and perhaps impolitic It has a long and storied history of being a laughingstock toward the end of its run, and even sooner than that...

Wasn't there a superbowl storm last year that looked to target my area and ended up in NYC>

way less cold in front of that system. I was up in northern nj the day before and there was light rain. Once that started to amp it was inevitable it would come north. This is a different situation. Even with the nam track it would be a thump snow to dry slot.

you all can parse the NAM....I'm not interested...I'll stop ranting now ;)

Fair enough, and I'm not really trying to parse it.  Just throwing out the caution is all, but I think we all have been pretty cautious anyhow.  Too easy around here to wait for the shoe to drop, so to speak.

On a lighter note, in reference to you saying the NAM has a history of being a "laughingstock toward the end of its run".  Recall last year, I believe with that Feb. 12-13 storm, the NAM at one time 78-84 hours out was developing this bomb right behind that system that would have been a ton of ice followed by a wash out rain storm??  Of course that disappeared right after that run.

There's always a chance (heck likelihood if history has anything to say about it) that the NAM (and SREF for that matter) will shift farther south and colder.  That's what they do within 48.  I'd really be curious to see if the GFS can hold, and how the EC will trend. The thing with that current NAM slp track -- it's not only the warming aloft (potential mixing) to worry about, but oh that dreaded dry slot.  Yes, we'll always have that front end thump -- but I'd rather it be closer to 4-6" vs. 2-4" or (gulp) 1-2".

There's always a chance (heck likelihood if history has anything to say about it) that the NAM (and SREF for that matter) will shift farther south and colder.  That's what they do within 48.  I'd really be curious to see if the GFS can hold, and how the EC will trend. The thing with that current NAM slp track -- it's not only the warming aloft (potential mixing) to worry about, but oh that dreaded dry slot.  Yes, we'll always have that front end thump -- but I'd rather it be closer to 4-6" vs. 2-4" or (gulp) 1-2".

Id rather have the dry slot then the rain. Front end thumps to dry slot can work out decent. 3-5 to dry slot is not the end of the world.

Archived