joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cluster in WVA is a little caution flag but obviously the overwhelming majority hit us good. Looks like MD is ground zero for both mean precip and mean snowfall.

I meant MD/NOVA is ground zero.

Are their any big ones Bob? I can't shake the notion that this might end up as a pretty big storm.

Ian do you have a list of the top analogs to this pattern? I believe I saw you make mention of them earlier.

Euro ensemble not out yet but these are 12z/500mb NH

Euro

6jLOo7Z.jpg

GFS

4pmZ15W.jpg

GFS ENS

pvO6hu0.jpg

Are their any big ones Bob? I can't shake the notion that this might end up as a pretty big storm.

There's 12" ones in there. Can't really tell what the biggest is. Half have 6" or more fore many of us. Mean is 5-6" which is pretty good considering mean precip is .50-.60. Guess not many rainers in there.

You'll be glad to know there's like only 1-2 unacceptable south solutions.

Euro ensemble not out yet but these are 12z/500mb NH

Euro

6jLOo7Z.jpg

GFS

4pmZ15W.jpg

GFS ENS

pvO6hu0.jpg

Thanks. I saw that list and took a deep breath when I saw the year at the top. I was wrong, but I thought pd 2 might make the list. At least at 5h across the U.S. it's similar, but I don't have maps that show more of the NA continent and the Atlantic. I'm sure they exist, but I won't look for them.

There's 12" ones in there. Can't really tell what the biggest is. Half have 6" or more fore many of us. Mean is 5-6" which is pretty good considering mean precip is .50-.60. Guess not many rainers in there.

You'll be glad to know there's like only 1-2 unacceptable south solutions.

Thanks Bob

Unlike the last storm, where we had major models split on the impact, sure seems like we have pretty good agreement for this storm. Heck, even saw that the NAV-G is on board.

Yeah. We have to feel pretty good about where the models are right now. But they can always agree later on a worse result for our area. I think its a givin we see some snow at this point. But how much is way up in the air.

I doubt it, because the weatherbell maps (which we all know are 10:1) show our area getting about 9", while the Eurowx maps give us 11.5.

It would make sense if Eurowx accounted for ratios.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Re: the EuroWx map snow ratios... DT posted something saying that those maps use the 'Evan Kuchera algorithm'. Can someone explain how that differs from, say, WxBell ratios? Thanks in advance.

I believe EuroWX uses a 10:1 ratio.  So if the model says you'd get the equivalent of 1" of rain, it will convert that to 10" of snow.  I don't know what the Evan Kuchera algorithm is, but it probably takes into account factors like the ones HM discusses above.  InstantWeatherMaps.com uses that algorithm as well.  (http://www.instantweathermaps.com/faq.php)

Archived