joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always a concern here but somehow things usually work out. I didn't look at the GGEM but on the GFS anfd Euro precip spreads into the area from the west so a miss is less likely than if we are waiting for the precip to come up from the south. We still managed 4 inches on 1/30/10 when things looked rather bleak 24 hours before.

I only remember around 1.5 or so. Did better 2 days later then of course the back to back 25"ers

Psuhoffman worried about being fringed. Classic stuff.

I know, I know...its like a running tradition but I am ALWAYS worried about how it could go wrong...in this case I see a southern slider as the bigger threat then rain.  If I was more worried about a cutter I would be saying that.  Fact is for every 10 threats at this range only 2-3 work out so most of the time something WILL go wrong.  For DC its more like 1 out of every 10.  Believe it or not my area is not the grandfather creator of snow, we get about twice as much as DC/Baltimore but its not like we average 100" and have a 20" snowpack all winter.  I have yet to have a 6" snow this year.  Plenty of storms miss up here as well...and while my elevation and northern location helps a lot in marginal temperature situations, it does absolutely nothing if precip doesn't make it here so of course a fringe situation always bothers me more then a temperature one.  If I lived in DC I probably would be more worried about rain then being fringed though... location is everything.

GEFS looked solid. Couple big rainers but they are ouliers. Most look similar to the op with typical variations and maybe 1 south miss. If anything, the run implies greater risk of too far north than south. 

Mean track is great.  Right across the VA/NC line then offshore near Wallops.  Let's do this. 

GEFS looked solid. Couple big rainers but they are ouliers. Most look similar to the op with typical variations and maybe 1 south miss. If anything, the run implies greater risk of too far north than south. 

It doesn't surprise me that the models might want to keep coming back around to a cutter idea.  As said by others, we haven't had a solid -NAO all winter so the models might not have the pattern sorted out well enough just yet.  

Well those are 500mb analogs as most are. Surface isn't the same but I don't know if I'd call it completely different. Regardless.. they all have 1/29/2003 as the top one and that period didn't do anything at DCA at least. ;)

Interesting that last event fit in with a Nino year and we see Nino analogs here maybe. 

I think CIPS filters by ENSO so it would only show analogs that fit into that criteria.  I actually don't like that as I think the enso state leads to a setup but does not necessarily mean the same setup in a non enso match wouldnt be a good analog.  I would much rather CPC run analogs at 24, 48, and 72 hours based on entire hemispheric h5 conditions like they do for d6-10 and 8-14.  CIPS narrows the search criteria too much and focuses on things that I don't necessarily think are always the driving factor in the storm. 

It doesn't surprise me that the models might want to keep coming back around to a cutter idea.  As said by others, we haven't had a solid -NAO all winter so the models might not have the pattern sorted out well enough just yet.  

We have a transient -nao and 50/50 in place. The best block of the year timed with a storm.

f96.gif

It's like putting on comfortable shoes, we all have our roles in terms of worry. Him worried about being fringed lets me know that this might be an actual storm.

In a way this is very true because if I didn't think this had good potential I would probably be silent and not "worried" about anything.  I worry when I think we have a chance and am nervous it goes bust.  When I think it will bust I am complacent about it.   

Well those are 500mb analogs as most are. Surface isn't the same but I don't know if I'd call it completely different. Regardless.. they all have 1/29/2003 as the top one and that period didn't do anything at DCA at least. ;)

Interesting that last event fit in with a Nino year and we see Nino analogs here maybe. 

1/30/2003 was a surprise 4-8 inch back my way. I called it 12 hours before the snow started and may have been the only person. 6.5 at my house. 

I can see this becoming like the storms last March... maybe 3-5" in Baltimore with the more impressive totals around DC and a bit south.

Yeah, for this event I like where usedtobe and noreastercane sit... they could get smoked.

I hope so! And yeah I got more from 3/3 and 3/17 than the Feb. KU so I'll take that track again. :snowing:

Archived