joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are going to get crazy in here and a lot of guests and people who don't post are going to rely on this thread for info with each model suite. I vote starting with the 0z suite that we keep banter in this thread to a minimum or zero. 

Strongly agree... starting with the 21z SREFs

I believe EuroWX uses a 10:1 ratio. So if the model says you'd get the equivalent of 1" of rain, it will convert that to 10" of snow. I don't know what the Evan Kuchera algorithm is, but it probably takes into account factors like the ones HM discusses above. InstantWeatherMaps.com uses that algorithm as well. (http://www.instantweathermaps.com/faq.php)

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember DT explaining that whereas WxBell counts all frozen as snow (which causes the totals to be inflated), the Kuchera method discounts anything but actual snowfall accumulation, thereby giving a more realistic output.

Trends are looking great today! Wooooooooooo!

Things are going to get crazy in here and a lot of guests and people who don't post are going to rely on this thread for info with each model suite. I vote starting with the 0z suite that we keep banter in this thread to a minimum or zero. 

Agreed...and I would also like to suggest deferring  the  model analysis to the "first stringers" during model runs - you of course can be captain  :snowman:

I am not worried about "jinxing" it.  Simply put, based on climo/pattern/models, our margin of error is enormous. And we should have goalposts by tomorrow night anyway.  Low to Pittsburgh?  fine...we get front thumped good.  GFS/EURO track?  we get clobbered. Even if it is north of there, and we mix some, it is still a big hit.  GGEM track (lol)...ATL - MYR, and we still get 6". 0z Euro weak wave?  We still get 4".  We're vested for 2-4".  And we will probably get more.

I am not worried about "jinxing" it.  Simply put, based on climo/pattern/models, our margin of error is enormous. And we should have goalposts by tomorrow night anyway.  Low to Pittsburgh?  fine...we get front thumped good.  GFS/EURO track?  we get clobbered. Even if it is north of there, and we mix some, it is still a big hit.  GGEM track (lol)...ATL - MYR, and we still get 6". 0z Euro weak wave?  We still get 4".  We're vested for 2-4".  And we will probably get more.

Love your confidence.  Feeling good with this one.

It really has had that feel. There are some important pieces embedded above us that are definitely going to be there. Being inside of 4 days with close agreement is awesome. Looking fairly decent for a shot at widespread wsw criteria being met. And then having serious cold behind it to keep it around for more than a day or 2. 

Archived