joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see totals down in PYM county and CC.

The fact it just kept snowing last nite from 8pm to 2am, and was piling up dentrites, brought this from "historic" to Legendary IMO.

I don't think all the snow could ever be measured accurately with the settling and drifting now but someone saw over 40".  The area from Shrewsbury to Northboro to Berlin to Hudson saw 35+ and you could probably extend that NE

There is a ski hill in Shrewsbury at 650' that I would guess did that easily. Hudson Mass reported 36 at 4PM...lol 8 hours of snow after that.

Most of the PNS totals were in the late afternoon or early evening...It snowed past midnight. Especially E MA

The fact it just kept snowing last nite from 8pm to 2am, and was piling up dentrites, brought this from "historic" to Legendary IMO.

I don't think all the snow could ever be measured accurately with the settling and drifting now but someone saw over 40". 

There is a ski hill in Shrewsbury at 650' that I would guess did that easily. Hudson Mass reported 36 at 4PM...lol 8 hours of snow after that.

:weenie:

I got 3.2" at Plymouth State....while my mom measured 32" in Shrewsbury....decided not to go home thinking I would miss like 20-25", not the best storm alltime. So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, to say the least

damn, we could have used your 6 hour measurements. How did you mom measure the snow, ruler in ground at end?

The true jackpot was probably just northeast of ORH in that northern Shrewsbury to Berlin to Harvard/Lunenburg then bending a bit ENE along 495.

Though some of those 30" totals near PYM are probably more "impressive" in terms of liquid equivalent.

Finished with 30" here, insane gradient to the west.

ORH up to your area especialy and FIT made it by the skin of their teeth while just a few miles west was sucking on subidence exhaust from that band pivoting. There wasn't much room west of 190. I'm guessing you could probably almost watch the snow depth shrink every couple hundred yards as you drive 62 west from Princeton toward Hubbdave.

The true jackpot was probably just northeast of ORH in that northern Shrewsbury to Berlin to Harvard/Lunenburg then bending a bit ENE along 495.

Though some of those 30" totals near PYM are probably more "impressive" in terms of liquid equivalent.

I had 34" just about exactly here in Ayer. Most of which fell between midnight (when I crashed ...there was a 2.5" of sand and shattered aggregates at that time) and 7am, when I peered out the window to see my car nearly entirely tented over with drift-fins extending down wind.  

Must have been a harrowing 6 hours there - wow.  Prolly 3 to 4" /hourly rates the whole time, I imagine.  

You know what makes this storm unique -- other than those eye popping snow totals that is ... It's that we are really sort of entering awesome pattern.  So often, we get these giant ordeals, and they immediately relay into an endless non-event duldrum.  Heck, after the SYZYGY storm in 1986, I don't think it did anything through spring! 

But here... ?  Friday has a sneaking, quiasi-norlun chance for eastern NE; but more likely it's a high TT polar fropa with a band of squalls for 1-4" type deal.  Then, the early next week storm gathered legs on the 00z deterministic guidance' et al, with the Euro flavoring a nice 6-10" fast moving snow, while the GFS ... Check this graphic out -- it has like 10" of snow, then a crippling 1.5" ice storm for ORH!

post-904-0-12102100-1422459300_thumb.jpg

Then ... I mentioned this in the February Patttern thread I started, I see an important signale near the 7th-9th of the month.. It would be a more latitude inclusive type of mass field correction (Archy) event.

And all of these three event potentials have plenty of cold air to work with.  ...storm tracks notwithstanding.

NWS reports 21.0" here in Westerly from a trained spotter. I was getting more around 18.0" but maybe they were up in the Potter Hill area with an extra 100+ feet of elevation and several more miles away from the Ocean. Even still, awesome storm. Congrats to those who broke records and cashed in with 30"+!!

Did you measure every 6 hours?

Once you get above about 15", measuring every 6 hours can start making those differences a bit more noticeable vs just sticking a yardstick in the ground at the end. That could easily be the difference between 18" and 21"...esp the latter half of the event which was quite fluffy down there.

Archived