• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

8.5" here with a water equivalent of 0.85". The snow definitely had a sand like consistency - was not fluffy and was definitely not wet. Probably from hours and hours of bad snow growth.

There are a lot of very dubious snow reports around me - including 15" the next town over. With drifting measuring was a challenge but some of these totals seem way out of whack. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Packed up and ready to go home, hopefully I have a safe ride I'm sure roads are still dicey. I have no idea what I got here (Mainsfield MA), probably around 20". I had a place near Worcester booked and changed it literally 30 mins before I got there.... so I missed the epic deform band they got in the morning hours. Still enjoyed the storm and it was worth it. Back to Philly. 

The one thing I'll say is it seemed like I never had ++SN at my location. Yeah we had some nice bursts, but the snow growth always seemed poor like it sand falling from the sky. When I was @ Marlboro for Nemo there were times during the night where I could barely see 20 feet in front of me. This storm never had that for my location, but it def. lasted a lot longer than Nemo. Well, till next time. 

Packed up and ready to go home, hopefully I have a safe ride I'm sure roads are still dicey. I have no idea what I got here (Mainsfield MA), probably around 20". I had a place near Worcester booked and changed it literally 30 mins before I got there.... so I missed the epic deform band they got in the morning hours. Still enjoyed the storm and it was worth it. Back to Philly.

Next time book a place in Boston so you could walk around. Always lots of folks probably your age running around in the snow. You'd have seen near 30 inches but in these big storms I don't think you'd know the difference...it's more the experience of being able to be in a city during a blizzard.

Next time book a place in Boston so you could walk around. Always lots of folks probably your age running around in the snow. You'd have seen near 30 inches but in these big storms I don't think you'd know the difference...it's more the experience of being able to be in a city during a blizzard.

Yeah I think that is a good idea. @ the Red Roof Inn I was basically staring at a parking lot out my window all night, so there really wasn't any good spots to measure or anything so I gave up. 

I was asleep by 8:00 last night. Just exhausted. Looks like I picked up another 1-2 overnight..I had 20 before 8:00..so low 20's..which is what i thought this area would see. looks like Staffordville to my north came in with 23

It all fell between 8-11 pm. We had a nice burst. 22" sounds about right!

That's my thought.  I'm liking my call of 20" ±2" for MBY but I'd like to see where that band sets up (as I know everyone would!).

I don't think I did that bad.  I ended up with 19" including the 2" that fell last night so my call from Monday wasn't bad.  FWIW, I'm surrounded by reports of 22 and 23" and they must have had better banding.  I know there is a drop off to my west and more to the east.

Since 1985 this ranks #6 for me.  I like these long duration/dynamic events...always exciting!

Sorry you missed out on staying in Southborough. My parents there say they've picked up close to three feet.

The one thing I'll say is it seemed like I never had ++SN at my location. Yeah we had some nice bursts, but the snow growth always seemed poor like it sand falling from the sky. When I was @ Marlboro for Nemo there were times during the night where I could barely see 20 feet in front of me. This storm never had that for my location, but it def. lasted a lot longer than Nemo. Well, till next time.

That was the advice I gave him Jerry.  Hey bud, when travelling always stay either at a resort with walking trails or in a city.  You can walk around, have a drink, socialize, etc.   I lived in Center City Philly for 22 years and did indeed travel out for a few snowstorms.  Although 96 was most epic in Center City....the best I've ever experienced anywhere.

Picked up 2" more overnight.  32" final.

Late yesterday afternoon/evening we picked up 7" of champagne powder. 

I def think there are 40" spots , if cleared 6 hours, without a doubt to your SE near Messenger. (if not further out as well) As well as in ORH country, this storm was legendary.

Archived