joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin posted this on social media from North Woodstock, CT. That local place always reminds me of Vermont. Rolling hills, dairy farms....awesome seeing them get clobbered. I spent every summer of my life at that lake, till I was 19. Worked in Southbridge, haha, interesting place, but always loved visiting after a huge snowstorm. Photo from 800ft elv.

My cousin posted this on social media from North Woodstock, CT. That local place always reminds me of Vermont. Rolling hills, dairy farms....awesome seeing them get clobbered. I spent every summer of my life at that lake, till I was 19. Worked in Southbridge, haha, interesting place, but always loved visiting after a huge snowstorm. Photo from 800ft elv.

image.jpg

I was there today, just beautiful

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm right on the N Woodstock border, we got lucky with that heavy overnight band, most of the snow fell in 4-5 hours. I'll try and get my pics up later, my 3 foot fence is buried.

Feb 2013 was a dry snow in ORH too, but it was compacted into almost like a dry cement....this one was fluffier. Definitely less liquid equivalent than Feb '13 despite 6" more snow. The compaction/settle rate will definitely be pretty high in this one.

Though there was 6-7" of ice-locked paste on the ground prior to this one whereas Feb 2013 only had about an inch or two of horribly sublimated sugar on the ground prior.

1978 had higher totals in some areas. Much denser snow. Longer duration

Much greater coastal impact. Caught a lot of people off guard. Higher winds I believe and for longer times. Some reports in SE Mass and RI had 44-52", but those are not always believed

Travel ban for several days. More power outages.

Archived