• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

While an improvement over the old GFS, the new package is plenty flawed.  The higher run-to-run variability has also been noted by the field, though this is at least in part a function of the higher resolution and new dynamics.  I don't think there is an easy fix to this, but the extension to 4D data assimilation and improved initialization techniques could/should help.  The physics (especially the boundary layer and physics schemes) still need significant work.

People including me say a lot of stupid stuff about the models here but it's mostly because they show things we don't want to see and nothing more. It's good to know the flaws are being observed and ultimately rectified I'm sure. Positive of jumpiness might be that everyone can dial back from calling storms 7-10 days out. If we're lucky maybe 5+ out. Model chaos might not be a bad thing. ha.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was comparing model runs that were snowy a couple days ago to now. Big difference is the lakes low. It was much further north with less interaction. Pressures over upstate ny went from 1014 to 1006. The low is weaker too and I think the increased interaction with the lakes low is causing a delay in the gulf low bombing.

Hey I was just joking around but what does the graph depict.. Is it showing actual departure from forecast... If this is the case it would seem that the gfs has a cold bias.. ?

Gosh. Don't make this sort of post to a meteorologist. If you don't understand the graph, you not have a high school understanding of meteorology.

The other thing also is that wes's outlook was a two week outlook that indicated a more favorable pattern in the second half of week 2 which is really not until after this Saturday event passes through. It focused on a negative ao and positive PNA.. Not a mega block -nao scenario that would support a mecs or hecs type event. No where in the artical was there any big storm hype

The other thing also is that wes's outlook was a two week outlook that indicated a more favorable pattern in the second half of week 2 which is really not until after this Saturday event passes through. It focused on a negative ao and positive PNA.. Not a mega block -nao scenario that would support a mecs or hecs type event. No where in the artical was there any big storm hype

DT is this thread's father and the event may yet yield some shoveling, but his attitude and ineptitude over the last two weeks has been laughable.  He'd better make sure he doesn't dig a hole he can't get out of.

NAM is colder out here. Just a little but it might mean a lot....if it's real.

Heck it's got the 850's pretty decent even down this way. As Disc from ROA pointed out though, very sleety, but with the way the winter has been I would take the mounds and mounds of sleet. Anything to have some winter weather at this point.

Problem with the NAM is it's almost guaranteed too cold during the day tomorrow. After that not sure but that has to have some impact.

Yeah looks to have 36 for a high in Baltimore. My forecast for tomorrow is 40, so Baltimore would be a few degrees higher for sure.

Problem with the NAM is it's almost guaranteed too cold during the day tomorrow. After that not sure but that has to have some impact.

Yes, the NAM definitely has problems with temps. For the clippers and the 11/26, it was so much better than the GFS for surface during-precip temps, though. The GFS 32F line was nowhere near DC during the snow yesterday while the HiRes NAM kept suburban MD near and below freezing during the precip. IAD easily made it down to 32F as well as all the elevated suburban spots. I noticed it with 11/26 too--- even though snow was having a hard time sticking downtown, temps were 33-34 during the heaviest.

Archived