Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is an ugly, brutal run.  Checked soundings from 42-51   :yikes:  

I was perusing the New England section last night, some of those folks aren't the biggest fans of the GFS. I think one of the meteorologists there said it was minor league now. We'll see...

I was perusing the New England section last night, some of those folks aren't the biggest fans of the GFS. I think one of the meteorologists there said it was minor league now. We'll see...

This is what happens when you stray too far from the heart of government. 

Also, it looks pretty much like the other models. 

But it's not just the gfs going the wrong way. It's everything. Wishcasting is all that's left.

I don't think snow is impossible. But an impact event anywhere near the cities/burbs is becoming quite unlikely.

But it's not just the gfs going the wrong way. It's everything. Wishcasting is all that's left.

I don't think snow is impossible. But an impact event anywhere near the cities/burbs is becoming quite unlikely.

Yeah, definitely a warm trend going on, if not the QPF as well. Kind of had a feeling.

This storm is a microcosm of this winter. Perfect SLP track in late January and we get a blowing rainstorm. 

Allow me to make you feel better:

January to date Snowfall           Jan Climo to date     Departure from Normal

BWI               4.9                                          4.2                               +0.7  

DCA              3.0                                          3.4                               -0.4

IAD                6.4                                          4.5                               +1.9    

at this point the problem has nothing to do with track or qpf, its about the strength but more importantly, the organization of the low.  36 hours ago most guidance suggested a nice compact system coming out of the gulf then steadily bombing out up the coast.  That lead to some of the snowier solutions as with our marginal temperature setup we needed the dynamic cooling from such a system to help out.  The trend since has been for the low to go through a period where it becomes strung out and disorganized after coming out of the gulf before eventually bombing out.  We are under its affects during that part of the process.  The precip on the NW side of the low is a hot mess.  There is no longer any closed H7 low until way north of our latitutude.  Basically the low is taking too long to get its act together, and a lot of that is due to the circulation of the great lakes low interfering with the process.  We knew about this problem all along, just took the models an extra day to "see it" clearly

Archived